Brake Drum adjusting?

Page 2 of 2

There are lots of Mazda forums on the web. Here are a few:
www.mazda626.net www.mazdaforum.com www.mazda247.com www.mazdaworld.org www.coremazda.com/forums
Reason I came back to this group is because there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that I always relied on for work I did on my past Fords...and I figured well brakes are brakes...
Eric
"Eric L. Hulliberger" wrote:
I came back to this group because there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that I always relied on for work I did on my past Fords...and I figured well brakes are brakes... ____________________________________________
If the star-wheel jackscrews in the brake adjusters are different for left and right wheels, and if they are swapped, backing up will loosen the brakes.
It doesn't hurt to check.
Good luck.
Rodan.
Rodan - they actually aren't starwheels, unfortunately. My last 2 cars have these jacked up ratchet mechanisms, where two slightly cogged gears go together on differing angles and meet each other, but man when you try to adjust those with screwdriver it can sometimes be maddening to get them together right where you want them!!
is the self adjuster mechanism intact and functiong?

Jim - yeah, I keep the adjusters lubed up good and they come apart and fit back together real easily and loosely, but I just wonder how well they might be working once the drums are on and the brakes are applied.