Brake Drum Overheating Solved..........

1) I bled my front and back brakes today. The brake fluid I purchased today was a clear colour. The fluid I removed was a dark brown. Honestly I could not believe the state of the fluid that was removed. One of the back bleeder screws I know that the first liquid that came out was rusted water it fell on newspaper and was absorbed by the paper.

I always maintain my vehicle but honestly I have never paid much attention to brake fluid. That will now change for sure.

After doing this bleed job which I consider was absolutely necessary because I could see how dirty the fluid was compared to the new fluid, I still did not know if this would solve my Brake Drum Overheating problem.

2 ) So while I had the two rear wheels removed, I changed the two drums over. The drum that overheated went to the side that was not overheating (passengers side ) and the drum that did not overheat went to the side that overheated.( driver's side )

And what can you guess my original problem overheated driver's side drum is no longer overheated it is normal. The problem is now the passenger's side drum is overheated.

So the problem is a defective drum!!!!!!!!!!

Last week I was thinking the problem could be the drum and went to Canadian Tire to price drums. Made in China drum $29.99 Made in USA drum $49.99

Three years ago when I was new in this city I went to a place to buy 2 new drums and was charged $29.99 and I now suspect that they must have been the made in China drums. This one drum must have been defective from the beginning. I had both drums in my hands today they are identical look the same, weigh about the same, markings the same they 9 inch drums, you would never know one is defective.

So my dilemma now is do I buy two $49.99 drums or just one.

See below my original postings to this NG

Thanks for your help Denny B

----------------------

2) 2nd posting August 23 / 2003

Can brake fluid break down?

If brake fluid has not been changed for many years can it break down ?

If it can how will you know ?

Thanks in advance Denny B

1) 1st posting July 15 / 2003

Brake Drum Overheating

I have a 1981 Ford Fairmont 6cyl, 3.3 L auto trans and the drivers side brake drum is overheating.

In June 2002 I redid front and rear brakes with the best kind of linings I could get from a clutch and brake rebuilder. They told me that it was the kind used by taxis and police, it was made by Bendix. Heard a ticking noise the other day, investigated and discovered that the drivers side shoes were very worn and the longer lining at the rear were cracked where the rivets are. The passenger side drum brakes were OK no problem there, probably another year's lining left. Yesterday I got new (Rebuilt) drum pads from Canadian tire, just had time to install the defective side linings and then tried the car out. After 2 miles of driving I could smell something was overheating and it was the linings rubbing against the drum. I removed the drum saw where there were rubbing marks and sanded the linings. It is derivable now but I find that the drivers side drum still gets hotter then the passengers side. The parking brake is OK it does release and the cables have been replaced they are free. The self adjuster is all the way in.

Any tips as to what I am overlooking or what can be causing the one drum to get much hotter then the other side.

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

I too had trouble with a ChiCom drum. It was warped and caused a nasty shimmy when the brakes were applied. The idiots who installed it could not diagnose it even after several tries including turning it twice. I finally solved it by driving behind the truck (94 Ranger) and saw the wobble for myself. I bought a new American drum and had no problems over the next two years at which point I sold the truck. You get what you pay for. Brakes are important. No bamboo brakes for me. Give me Detroit iron any time.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Replace your drums in pairs or your braking will not be even. Also, if for one reason or another you repalce only one drum, you should get the same type as the one on the other side is, and have them both turned to the same diameter. It's much better to get two new quality drums.

It's a good idea to change your brake fluid every two years, and bleed your brakes every few months. By bleeding them more often than is needed you can check on how the fluid looks to see if you need to flush the system out with new fluid. I've had my front brakes go out on me before and it's not fun. Especially when you're blissfully cruising along at 70 MPH and don't hit the brakes until you start turning down the onramp. Your brake system should get regular attention just like any other part of your car, or it _will_ deteriorate over time.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

You may have reached minimum thickness on the overheating drum. Replace both sides.

Reply to
IanCT

Yes this is very possible.

Today I purchased just one quality drum made in USA installed it and now both rear drums heat about the same. I now know 100% that it was a defective or (reached minimum thickness ) drum.

I might now purchase another drum.

Thanks Denny B

Bendix.

derivable