Brake Lights Off + Cruise Control Doesn't Do Anything

1997 Taurus GL, generally very good condition, about 90k miles.
If someone has any comments here, I'd really, really appreciate it!
Symptoms: Brake lights off AND cruise control stopped working. The
little green "cruise" indicator on the dash comes on fine, but when you try to set it to a speed, nothing happens when you release the gas (i.e. car just slows down just as it would without cruise).
I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH BUT IT ISN'T!!!
What I've looked at:
- "Stop lamps" fuse: Checked it with light tester. FINE. - Brake light switch: tested that one end has power - FINE! And other end only has power when brake is pushed. FINE, switch working perfectly, transmitting electricity when brake is pushed!
So that puts the problem somewhere "downstream" from the switch, or potentially a wire right in the switch or nearby, didn't test those as didn't want to do any invasive testing and the wires themselves *looked* fine.
I'm thinking maybe there's another easy to replace switch somewhere that's less obvious than the Brake Light switch.
Any ideas?
Does the "SET" button work, try to set it a couple times witha little bit more force Does your car have a Coruise control switch next to the brake lite switch?
There is a way to test your cruise by pushing a button when you turn ignition on but forgor what it was
Maybe a ford tech here can look it up online

cmsan wrote:

I bet its the multi fuction switch(if it isnt the brake switch or the wires at the brake switch). You can lube/clean it by spraying wd40 in the top down into the flasher switch and working the switch on and off about 50 times. First just turn it on and off and it will probably come back to life if thats it.