Brake problems...

My Ford Explorer has a problem with the brakes, when you press the brake peddle to the floor, it will make a whisssh sound. When you are trying to
stop, it doesn't grab until the peddle goes all the way down to the floor, would you think the sound would be coming from the master cylinder or the power booster? Can some one bleed the brakes by hand if the system has rear anti lock or does this have to be done by a mechanic shop?
Thank you, ask if there isn't enough information given here.

You gave enough info for me to advise you to get to a shop immediately.... and quite carefully.
you pay..DEAL with it!
They told me that the master cylinder needs to be replaced because it is leaking, but I was wondering if there was more to it than the master cylinder that is causing that whisssh sound.

Soul Bandit wrote:

That sound is noemal for a brake booster being operated through it's full range (due to the bad master). When the brakes are operating normally you can hear it slightly if you listen close.
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 05:36:51 GMT, "Soul Bandit"

The sound you hear is normal for a booster pushing a bad master cylinder. If your pedal is going to the floor, you probably should consider having the vehicle hauled to the shop for master cylinder replacement. You may be well advised to have them check the complete system for any other impending problems. From the question you asked, this does not sound like a repair that you should atempt yourself as the brakes will need to be purged or bled afterwards which can affect the antilock system if done incorrectly.
Lugnut