brake rotor wear question

I have a 01 taurus Se. It was in the shop last week for maintenance and the guy told me that the rotors were worn and they needed to be replaced. He said that the normal reading on the rotors was 1070 and that the current reading on the rotors is around 1010. I'm assuming these measurements are in thousandths, but he didn't specify. The guy said that they need to be replaced, as well as the brake pads. I know that I need new brake pads, but I am wondering if I can use the rotors as they are currently, or if I really do need to go ahead and get new rotors. The price he quoted me to install new rotors including labor was $99. If anyone can give me some recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you in advance, Richard Bullington

Reply to
Richard and Shaw Bullington

Yes, the measurement should be in thousandths. What you describe is a

32nd of an inch on each side. For that amount I would think the rotors would have to have been turned (machined) previously. If you know for a fact this is not true (you bought new for example) I would get a second opinion.

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

"F.H." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

Something very wrong here. A new rotor by itself would cost around $100.

Are you sure the price isn't just to turn the existing rotors?

Reply to
scroob

Hiya all,

what sort of rotors are you boys fitting that side of the pond??? Glad I don't have to pay that much, I use a set a year!

Don't bother turning rotors, especially not the vented type, I get a pair for the Granada, vented, for about £40 and the set for the jag was only £80 including the pads. It's only an hours job to change 'em anyway.

and the sun is out and it's a bank holiday, have a good weekend.

pottsy

Reply to
pottsy