Brake warning light on 1998 Ford Escort

It's been coming on intermittently for a couple of weeks, just flashes once and goes off every few days. I've checked the fluid and it looks fine. The pads are still about 40% and brakes are working fine,
including a panic stop I had to make last week. My suspicion is just a short or a loose connection to the handbrake; any other ideas?
--
Bill in Vancouver

Get out the meter and see if it's the handbrake, or if it is one or more of the pressure sensors. If it's a pressure sensor, then you know where to start looking. --scott

. My suspicion is just a

I would also check the fluid level sensor.. maybe a quick brake bleed... HTH Ben