brakes

helping a buddy with a 71 ltd, has been sitting a few years, working on brakes we replaced, wheel clys, leaking, front cal , frozen up and master cly ,,,well now we have no brake pedal, yes we bleed them,
straight to the floor, light comes on,, any ideas
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

first you have to bleed the master cylinder without the rest of the brake system attached(take off the tubing and let the air out of the master cylinder)... that is why the light came on... air in the master cylinder, lack of fluid in there to keep the float up.. so the light comes on....then look in the shop manual and find out what wheel is next to bleed.... then the next one and then the next until you have all four wheels bled....and make sure your mast. cyl. does not go dry when going from wheel to wheel... always have fluid in the mast. cylinder to replace the fluid that is moving along in the system....
yes we bench bleed, and all 4 wheels, even tryed another master cly,, no float in master cly, light comes on from the valve senor
If you have tried two different masters, then:
1) There is still a lot of air somewhere. 2) There is a large leak somewhere (light suggests this). 3) Something is assembled improperly/way out of adjustment (incl. pedal linkage). 4) Both masters were faulty.
On a side note, the switch that triggers the warning light can occassionally stick. It sometimes helps to *stomp* the brake pedal and hold it while someone briefly cracks a bleeder to 'nudge' it back center. Chevy trucks in particular seem to do this every now and then.
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 05:05:21 -0700, bh-- wrote:

put on another master cly, had a hard pedal, until i start the engine, first time u hit them straight to the floor, adjusted rod, seem to help,, but has a slight front brake drag