"Brakes" warning light.

1999 Taurus: The "Brakes" warning icon comes on when making any turns a bit faster than normal. I checked the brake fluid level and it's exactly
where it should be. Could this be a master cylinder problem in the making?
Eric

Are your brakes the ones with warning light wires on when they get low?? It might just be your brake pads raching the end of their life.
Re: "Brakes" warning light. Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Mon, Nov 14, 2005, 7:01pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMmag2781.freeserve.co.uk (TheMagnum)
1999 Taurus: The "Brakes" warning icon comes on when making any turns a bit faster than normal. I checked the brake fluid level and it's exactly where it should be. Could this be a master cylinder problem in the making? Eric Are your brakes the ones with warning light wires on when they get low?? It might just be your brake pads raching the end of their life. <<<<<<<<<<
Actually I was mistaken when I said the brake fluid level was right where it should be. It was a little low and adding about 2-3 ozs of brake fluid solved the problem.
Eric
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:16:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Eric Toline) wrote:

go? Normally as the lining wears on the pads and shoes (assuming rear drums) the level of fluid drops in the master cylinder as the backing plates move closer to the rotor/drums. Having the light go on for low fluid is a reminder that you should get the brakes inspected, if this is the only time you've added fluid since long ago brake service. If you're adding 2-3 oz. frequently (and that means that you remember the last time you added 2-3 oz) to turn the light off, chances are you have a leak.
Re: "Brakes" warning light. Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Tue, Nov 15, 2005, 2:27pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@hellsouth.org (BuckerooBanzai) On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:16:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Eric Toline) wrote: Re: "Brakes" warning light. Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Mon, Nov 14, 2005, 7:01pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMmag2781.freeserve.co.uk (TheMagnum) "Eric Toline"
Actually I was mistaken when I said the brake fluid level was right where it should be. It was a little low and adding about 2-3 ozs of brake fluid solved the problem. Eric
Okay, so now it's time to answer another question. Where did 2-3 oz. of fluid go? Normally as the lining wears on the pads and shoes (assuming rear drums) the level of fluid drops in the master cylinder as the backing plates move closer to the rotor/drums. Having the light go on for low fluid is a reminder that you should get the brakes inspected, if this is the only time you've added fluid since long ago brake service. If you're adding 2-3 oz. frequently (and that means that you remember the last time you added 2-3 oz) to turn the light off, chances are you have a leak.<<<<<<<<<<
Never had to add brake fluid before and it may be time to get the rear brakes checked as they are the original pads on there. The front disc pads were replaced about two years ago and the rears were fine then.
As I originally posted the light only came on when making turns slightly faster than normal leding me to believe the lower level of the fluid was slopping around and somehow affecting somekind of float that triggers the light.
Regardless of that, you're right, where has the missing fluid gone?
Re: "Brakes" warning light. Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Tue, Nov 15, 2005, 12:05pm From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EricToline) Re: "Brakes" warning light. Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Tue, Nov 15, 2005, 2:27pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@hellsouth.org (BuckerooBanzai) On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:16:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Eric Toline) wrote: Re: "Brakes" warning light. Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Mon, Nov 14, 2005, 7:01pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMmag2781.freeserve.co.uk (The=A0Magnum) "Eric Toline"
Actually I was mistaken when I said the brake fluid level was right where it should be. It was a little low and adding about 2-3 ozs of brake fluid solved the problem. Eric Okay, so now it's time to answer another question. Where did 2-3 oz. of fluid go? Normally as the lining wears on the pads and shoes (assuming rear drums) the level of fluid drops in the master cylinder as the backing plates move closer to the rotor/drums. Having the light go on for low fluid is a reminder that you should get the brakes inspected, if this is the only time you've added fluid since long ago brake service. If you're adding 2-3 oz. frequently (and that means that you remember the last time you added 2-3 oz) to turn the light off, chances are you have a leak.<<<<<<<<<<
Regardless of that, you're right, where has the missing fluid gone?<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Answer. Problem solved. The R.R. brake cylinder had a small leak and the rear brake shoes needed replacement after 70k miles.
Eric