Brand New Mondeo Touchscreen DVD System - Goosed?

Evening All,

Well, having now had my new Mondeo Ghia X TDCi for a few days, I'm getting used to the wickedly grunty 2.2 155 brake TDCi engine... lots of fun! But there is one thing that's plagued me since I got the car, and it's really annoying!

The car has two factory-fitted options: 1) The 7" colour DVD touchscreen SatNav system, and 2) Power seat adjustment (8-way) on the passenger side.

It took me two days just to find the DVD-ROM drive, in order to get (1)

working !!

Now I have a little problem, which I am anxious to solve...

When I start the engine in the morning, the Audio System initialises, but I get NO SOUND whatsoever. If I wait a couple of minutes, and then turn the system off and back on again, then hey presto, instant audio! This happens irrespective of whatever source I'm listening to (CD, Radio, Aux). The SatNav voice also cannot be heard during this intial period.

Occasionally, I have left the radio on after a cold start, and it 'crackles' into life! Absurd for such modern technology; this takes about five minutes from a cold start.

I am thinking that either:

a) There is a duff connection to an external amplifier somewhere, which

can be rectified by having a poke around (Please God, but unlikely)

b) There is an internal (thermally-related) fault with the head unit, such as a dry joint on a circuit board, which could never be found for love nor money, and which would require replacement of the whole SatNav

Head Unit, necessitating total destruction of the dashboard, and a second mortgage on my home (=A3=A3=A3 - the thing is a =A31750 option).

c) There is some other part of the vehicle's electrical system which is

negatively influencing the operation of the radio, which clears after I

either power off and on the head unit a few times, or just wait for a few minutes.

Whatever the reason, I would be eager to hear from anyone with access to the Ford TSB system, or with experience of similar faults. The car was bought from auction, so no details of the original warranty. I know

who the supplying dealer was though - so presumably if I ring them up and ask nicely, I might be able to get them to help? My understanding is that this (2005 model) has a 3 year warranty, although I'm not sure that electricals are covered beyond the first year.

Any advice would be welcomed! Apart from this, it's a lovely car, with just 11K on the clock. Once I've got this little 'problem' sorted, it's

onto fitting a towbar next!!

Thanks for all replies!

Cheers

Alan

PS Anyone know if Mark III Mondy has a dedicated connector in the vehicle's wiring harness for a 12N towing socket?! I hate to use Scotchlocks on new cars, and anyhow, it looks like I've got sufficient electrical trouble already!! :o)

Reply to
Mean Al