Broken Lug Bolt Safety Question

Two part question: (97 T-Bird)
1st part: Broke a lug bolt on front wheel and am now using only four lug nuts until I can get it fixed. How urgent is the need to repair?
2nd Part: With this car, do I need to replace the whole hub or can I knock out the broken bolt and install a new one? TIA
Frank
Replace the bolt forthwith before you kill yourself.
mike hunt
"F.H." wrote:

The broken wheel stud is not TERRIBLY critical, but get it fixed ASAP. The stud is replaceable without replacing the hub.
i dont know if it is critical or not but i have been drivng my 1991 ford explorer for over 100,000 miles with four lugs all around. they broke off when i had a flat becaus the idiot put them on with an air gun in a tire shop. i have driven to fla several times with this setup and no problem. maybe i am wrong, but will not change, will leave well enough alone EV

BIG-EV wrote:

Well, at least I can now rationalize procrastination. :)
BIG-EV opined in

THAT IS JUST STUPID!
If they broke off one stud (ON EACH HUB?!!!), they induced microscopic stress fractures on the rest.
So when and if you get in a skid and side forces are induced on the remaining lugs, what reason is there to assume some or all wont break in their weakened state?
People amaze me.

anything so far.... -scroll down-
Just kidding, replace the stupid $2 stud, at least you'll know you have 1 good one!