broken odometer

I have a 1990 Grand Marquis GS 5.0. The odometer just stopped working. The speedometer and the trip counter both still work fine, only the odometer stopped. If I am calling it the wrong name, it is the total
mileage counter.
I have received different answers from mechanics on this, the majority saying the entire dashboard display has to be replaced.
Is this so? Does this mean that even fuel and temp. gauges also? Or can the odometer itself be repaired/replaced?
I am ready to go on a search for what I will need but I don't exactly know what I should be looking for, ie: part name/description.
Any help on this is greatly appreciated and than you for any replies!
forked opined in

Your terms are correct
What you are looking for is the instrument or gauge cluster. And this is not a typical type failure so the best place to get one is a salvage yard.
Just replace the whole cluster
If they can be individually replaced, you COULD do it that way, but there's nothing to be gained because the thing is very difficult to set to a given number. It's designed that way for consumer protection.
I'm not sure about other states but I would assume that this only affects the title notations..."milage not accurate" and at this age, it wont matter anyway. just make a notation somewhere on the dash of the correct car's mileage at time of repair.
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:50:37 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

Thank you!
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:50:37 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

I found a salvage yard that can get it for me. He doesn't have it himself but his computer listing shows a few places that do. He is asking $100 and he can have it the next day.
The price sounds good to me. From your experience, is that a decent price?
I forgot to ask if this was mech or electronic display..
If it's a mech system, shop around. See if there's a u-pull-it yard in your area.
That's sorta high considering it takes them about 10 minutes to pull it and 95 % of those parts are crushed with the car.
But that's what happens when you get junkyards acting like businesses.
:)
forked opined

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:34:32 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

It's mechanical. I agree with you on what the price should be.
What I am acutally thinking is to just leave it the way it is. I am never going to sell this car. I have invested in it to keep it running good and since the speedometer works and I have been keeping track of my mileage like for oil changes, by using the trip counter, 3 times around, 3000 miles, oil change, lol.
If I can get it as you suggest, a pull-it-yourself yard, that's when I will get it. Otherwise I can live with it the way it is.
Thanks again for all the info!

And what is wrong with that ??
Bill
berkshire bill opined

Uh... exactly. Thought you knew my style by now.
:?
In the early seventies, whenever I went to a yard, I wondered WHY they didnt take advantage of technology... and then they did.
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:51:25 GMT, "berkshire bill"

Defining his reply might be this.
I was in Old Bridge NJ yesterday and there was a pull your own parts yard. Grabbed my tools, found a '90 Grand Marquis, removed the instrument cluster, 15 minutes work = part cost $15.00 instead of $100.