Bugshield for Freestar

I want a bug shield, but would rather not spend $80-90 the dealer wants for one, I presume with the Ford logo on it. Image:

I think I have narrowed my search down to a AVS Bugflector, Bugflector II or Lund Avenger. I seem to be able to get these in the $50 range online, but ofcourse no good pics on a van. I was wondering if any one is better than the other, or any one is shaped better (contours of the hood and/or aerodynamics). I think the Bf II has a "lip" at the top to generate more upware airflow, but not sure, or if the other models do as well. Every aftermarket store in town I've called so far also wants $60-80 and has to order it, so I plan on ordering online & self installing. Thanks for any help! Bryan

Oh I guess I should mention the best price I've seen on line is:

Any comments on their service, good or bad.

Reply to
Bryan

Some do nothing to deflect the path of bugs, some do, generally even aftermarket ones in the $50 range are just for looks. You usually have to spend around $100 to get the "Bug Deflection". Make sure that the one you pick up for the "good deal" are for more than just looks.

Reply to
351CJ

I bought a BF II for my 2002 Escape, and the hood wouldn't close. Thinking I had mounted it wrong (which would be really hard to do), I took it off and retried. Same results. I brought it back to Advance, thinking now that maybe it was defective. I traded them for a 2nd one, and tried the new one right there in the parking lot. Same results. I went inside and got one of the help to come out and look, and all he could say was, "Huh! I'll be darned, it don't fit." (I think I got one of the managers. I got a refund on it, went down the street to the Ford dealer, bought one from them at $20 more than the BF II, and it worked fine. You get what you pay for, I guess. I bought it because I seemed to be getting a lot of small rocks pinging my windshield when I was being passed. In hopes of avoiding a pock-marked windshield, I thought I'd try one. I have been pleasantly surprised- only the heavier stuff, including bugs, seem to hit it now. In other words, it works well for the lighter stuff, but the larger stuff still gets through. Good luck!

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Decided on Lund Avenger from

, good price, fast service, and it fit with no problems! Looks good. Fit's nicely, wish it did have a little more "lip" on top deflect a little more, but I love the close to hood style (about 1/2" off the hood). Just updating incase anyone else is looking. Bryan

Reply to
Bryan