Bumper hitch towing capacity

I recently lost my tow vehicle in an auto accident and haven't replaced it yet (It was a week after I purchased a new family car). I need to move my
'87 Coleman Chesapeake 2 miles to a storage facility for a month or two while renovations are done to my house.
My buddy has a ball on the step bumper on his 2002 Ranger but I'm not sure how much that can handle. The owners manual lists maximum capacity's but I'm sure that's with a real hitch. Anyone know what the bumper can handle?
TIA, Jon

Car bumper hitches..... 500LBS probably a safe max (though I've exceeded that personally years ago)....

I've seen ratings stamped in the metal of some bumpers, right near the hole. Have you looked for that?
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp 2002 Ford Ranger Owner Guide: "The bumper has a 907 kg (2,000 lb.) trailer weight and 91 kg (200 lb.) tongue weight capability."
--
---
Good Point, I haven't. I'll have him check it out.