Bumper hitch towing capacity

I recently lost my tow vehicle in an auto accident and haven't replaced it yet (It was a week after I purchased a new family car). I need to move my '87 Coleman Chesapeake 2 miles to a storage facility for a month or two while renovations are done to my house.

My buddy has a ball on the step bumper on his 2002 Ranger but I'm not sure how much that can handle. The owners manual lists maximum capacity's but I'm sure that's with a real hitch. Anyone know what the bumper can handle?

TIA, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Truck bumpers are pretty good Probably at least 50% of max.

Car bumper hitches..... 500LBS probably a safe max (though I've exceeded that personally years ago)....

Reply to
No body

I've seen ratings stamped in the metal of some bumpers, right near the hole. Have you looked for that?

Ford Ranger Owner Guide:"The bumper has a 907 kg (2,000 lb.) trailer weight and 91 kg (200 lb.)tongue weight capability."

Reply to
dold

Good Point, I haven't. I'll have him check it out.

Thanks, J>> My buddy has a ball on the step bumper on his 2002 Ranger but I'm not >> sure

Reply to
zeppo