bumper tiedowns and roof rack - Ford Focus

I drove a 1983 Fairmount for the last 10 years. I need to haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood and some 8 foot 2x4's every month or two because I'm gradually remodeling my house. I can put a 4x8 sheet of plywood on top of the Fairmount's flat roof and tie the rope to the front and rear bumpers. I slide 2x4's in the front passenger window. They rest on the back of the rear seat and stick out the passenger window a bit. It's kind of rough on the finish and the upholstry, but doesn't hurt the mechanical integrity of the car.

Now I bought a 2002 Focus with almost new paint and upholstery. I want to preserve this car as long as possible. And also, the Focus has a rounded roof and you can't tie a rope to the bumpers. I think I will invent some things with nylon straps that I can attach under the front and rear of the car, and put carabiners on the ends to tie a rope to. I will need a roof rack for the top of the car. A very wide one - I think. I'm anticipating the problems of putting a rack on. How are they attached? Any 'through' holes needed to fasten it could leak rain water. Also, how do you do it without messing up the headliner? Maybe they don't make any holes when they do it - I don't know anything about roof racks. Does anybody here know anything about doing a roof rack? Anybody got suggestions about tie-down fixtures for the front and rear of the car?

Thanks. Bill S.

Reply to
Mr. Correct

ProudPapa

I built what you're looking for for a 77 Monarch. 1 set of roof racks with suction cup mounting, angle strap metal, nylon webbing, and clips, etc. for the webbing. I attached the angle strap metal to the two roof racks for rigidity, and mounted it to the car via nylon webbing (available at sporting goods stores). 1 webbing down on each side to reach under the car and hook over a standing seam on the underbody. I atached clips under the hood and in trunk for 2 pieces of webbing front and 2 pieces back to clip to. Slide adjusters made tightening the webbing easy. The roof racks I used were pretty flimsy, so I reinforced them with wood slid inside of them. Took 5 minutes to install or remove, kept everything secure and off the roof. The metal pieces connecting the front and back racks together give you something to tie the load to. Worked just fine for plywood, drywall, 2x4's, etc.

Reply to
max-income