Burning Smell 2001 Escape

I've noticed a faintly rubber-like burning smell when I open the vent on my 2001 V6 Escape w/70K miles. The smell is also noticeable after I park.
Seems to come from the left side of the engine compartment. Hoses are all soft and subtle. The serpentine belt looks good, too. Brakes seem fine. I can't see any smoke. Just a burnt rubbery smell. Any ideas what this might be?
Thanks for any ideas.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

I should have said "passenger side" not "left."
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

That's the RIGHT side

Something melted to exhaust pipe?. Take a good look top & bottom. Something can come up from the road also. It doesn't take much to get an odor going
am in Hawaii so the AC is always on. I only noticed the smell because it has been cool enough for me to turn the AC off. On closer inspection I see that the oil filter I changed 3000 miles ago was 1/8 turn too loose and had dripped oil - apparently one drop at a time as the level was not affected. Thank you for suggesting I look at the "obvious" source.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.