Burning smell

Anyone have this problem on the 2001 Escape? Any ideas ideas as to cause? Once had a similar problem on a Subaru Forester where the CV front axle boot split and
dripped grease on the exhaust manifold area. This smell, however, is a little more like burning rubber. No error lights show on dash. The smell appeared in the last two weeks; vehicle has about 61,000 miles. Smell is particularly strong after parking in garage. Note: the vehicle in question is a Mazda Tribute, but owing to their similarity and lack of any Tribute NGs, I posted it here.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Eddie

Could be a lot of things, but I would start by checking for a dragging brake. I just fixed a stuck parking braking mechanism on a friend's car and the dragging brake made an awful smell.
Rodney
Check the oil level.

Oil level is okay.
Eddie
Masterson wrote:

Check if the oil filter came loose. it is right above the exhaust and when they start dripping they leak on the exhaust
If you just had a oil change done its left over from filter replacement and they should have cleaned it
Johan

Just had a recent oil change, but the smell wes also there before that. I'll check into it anyhow.
Thanks, Eddie
johanb wrote:

Howbout a plastic bag melted to your exhaust....
Johan

Actually this is my daughter's Mazda Tribute. She has the extended 100,000 mile warranty on it, and she now plans on letting Mazda find the problem.
From my 1965 Mustang (289 4-in-floor convertible) to my 1984 V6 Bronco II, I drove nothing but Fords. Just about anything that went wrong I could fix it by myself (plugs & points, brakes, water pumps, radiator, sticky lifters, etc.). But the Bronco II gave me real fits. The throttle position sensor went out THREE times before I had 70,000 miles on it, and then the headliner started falling in. Anyhow, I switched to Toyota in '89. Still, that new Thunderbird really looks enticing. <grin>
Eddie
johanb wrote:

Oops! Smell is gone. Questioned my daughter again about when the smell started. It started *after* the oil change. Must have been (as you suggested) oil spilled on exhaust.
Thanks johanb, Ed Maier
Ed Maier wrote:

No problem............