c4 identification troubles

I have a 66 mustang with a 289 and a c4. I'm getting ready to rebuild the c4 but I'm getting alittle confused with the identifing marks. The casting number on the tail piece of the tranny is c7op-7a040, if i've
done my research right this should be a 67 c4 off a fairlane/torino. Now where i'm getting confused with is the 5 bolt bell housing and 24 spline input shaft. I thought I had read that those should be on a 66 and earlier c4 where in 67 ford went to a 6 bolt bellhousing and a 26 spline input shaft. There is a metal tag on the tranny with PEA M1 and underneath that is C9APABM4. Another number is on the pump cover which is C6AP-7D027-C. It is an aluminium bellhousing with casting number RF-C5AP-7976-B. Any help with the numbers to find out what it really is would be great.
You have a mongrel, there.
It looks like you have a Mustang with an earlier than '66 289, & a transmission that was rebuilt/exchanged probably in the early '70s when it was just an old car that someone needed a transmission replacment for.
I cross-posted this to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang so the real Mustng guys might be able to help out.
Rob
hillpony wrote:

No. the eng. and trany change was a running change made in 67. You could have had either depending on build date. KB
for.

The
and
which
--
Thunder Snake #9
"Protect" your rights or "lose" them.
Kevin Bottorff wrote:

Ahh, I'm pretty sure by '66 all the bellhousings were the larger 6 bolt... this I am aware of.
Rob

it ain't stock. the last year for the 5 bolt bell was 64, with some holdouts in the early 65 model year. by mid 65, all were 6 bolt bells and blocks.