Cabin Air Filer for 2005 Escape

So where is this filter? I looked and couldn't find it.

Reply to
mstrspy

Why do you think you have a Cabin (Passenger Compartment) Air Filter?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Reply to
mstrspy

Well after lloking around, it seems that you may have one. See

and

If you have one, it will be under a plastic cover on the passenger side near the base of the windshield. If there is a filter, there will be a series of plastic screws in the air intake plenum cover at the rear of the engine compartment. If you remove these plastic "screws" (push pins), you can remove the cover and replace the filter (at least that is how it works for the two vechiles that I own that have filters).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Reply to
mstrspy

Try this- it covered my '02. '05 should be similar.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

I also posted the Carquest link. However when I looked at the Owner's Guide for a 2005 Escape, I could find no mention of a cabin air filter. I also looked at the 2002 Escape Owner's Guide and it doesn't mention a cabin air filter either. Furthermore, when I looked at the vehicle specs on the Ford website I see no mention of a cabin air filter. Nor is it mentioned in the vehicle ordering guides. I find it strange that Ford includes this feature, and then doesn't tell anyone about it. On the other hand, both Carquest and Motorcraft offer replacement "Pollen" filters (Carquest P/N YL8418797 - Ford, Motorcraft P/N FP-49, Ford P/N YL8Z-19N619-AB), so it must be there. Strange. Is it possible that the filter is not installed at the factory, but can be added as an aftermarket accessory? I've seen at least one site that indicated that this was the case (see

). I also cameacross a better illustration of how to replace the filter at
. Also see:
- ApparentlyPurolator# C25478, Wix# 24816, Hastings# AF1148, Champ# CAF1755, Fram #CF9362 are all equivalent to the FORD YL8Z-19N619-AB Pollen Filter. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Sorry, I missed your link when I posted mine. My owner's manual mentions Cabin Air Filtration on p. 274 as an accessory, but also has the disclaimer that "not all accessories are available for all models." I found out about mine from escape-central.com back when I first bought my '02. I've been using a Fram CA4303, but I have a feeling they're not being made any more- I bought the last 2 that Wal-Mart had at $4 apiece on the "discontinued" table.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

So did yours come with a filter, or did you add it?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I read that some of the cabin filters are only engine air intake filters, and not suitable for the real intended purpose. They just happen to fit, since most of the cabin air filters are just flat rectangles. Maybe that's the discontinued Fram.

Fram CA8997 and Fram CF9362 are both listed in different places.

Reply to
dold

The mounting hardware was all there, but I had to buy the filter itself. From what I've read, though, some '01's and '02's required the Ford kit for the first installation. After that, the only thing needed was the filter itself.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

From what I read (somewhere, I don't remember), the "CA" in the Fram filter was for Cabin Air. Maybe the "CF" is for Cabin Filter? I don't know. I do know that the air box under the filter as far as I can wipe with a rag or see into is very clean, and the dashboard dust level inside the car is a lot lower than before I installed the filter. I don't drive with the windows down, and rarely have the moonroof open, usually only on pop up. Late spring, summer, and early fall are in the 90's, so I mostly run the air on recycled after the car has cooled off some, so I'm not pulling in all that much outside air in the summer.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

I have cabin air filters on two vehicles. I usually change them at the same time I change the engine air filter. In every case, the cabin filter has been far dirtier than the engine filter. Makes you wonder where all that stuff goes if you don't have a cabin air filter....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

If my old Mustang II was any indication, all that stuff gets stuck to the heater fan. I actually had leaves smoldering once in it! Not a good feeling, driving down the road and the car fills with smoke and the smell of burning leaves, not good at all. I change the cabin air filter every other oil change, partially because it doesn't really seem to need it every time, and partially because it's a PITA to do.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Does anyone realize that the owners manual is the single, most expensive, UNREAD book published in the modern world? I'm a dealer tech and have little experience with the 05 Escape.... Cruising down through the subject lines, we see help requests for mid to eqarly 90s concerns... a few pre-90 help requests... a few post 99 requests.....

I see no gentle way of saying that you should avail yourself of those that saw profit from your buying decision or at least look in the book ... There are many here that are financially disadvantaged..... those I will try to help as best I can... be it leading by the hand or trying to goad them into doing or learning something....

Laziness is quite another subject....

Flame away, folks.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Flame? Why? Just because you came flying in to the middle of a thread with some flame on a topic that you admittedly know nothing about? Did you read the earlier 13 posts?

The owners guide for my 05 Escape says: "As required: Replace cabin air filter, if equipped" How much reading would one have to do to gain any information from that? Where is it? How do I replace it if I have one? No information in that expensive book.

The Table of Contents and the index are both notoriously vague. Being able to download a pdf copy of the owners' guide is very handy for searching, although myford.fordvehicles.com won't let me have one for my 05 Escape.

one, so I downloaded it (a few days after I got my car). Page 259 (IDENTIFYING COMPONENTS IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT) points to the Engine Air Filter Assembly, as number 7. Too bad they didn't add another pointer right about where the #1 and #2 balloons are that would show the cabin air filter.

So, what was I supposed to learn about my cabin air filter by reading the owners guide?

Reply to
dold

I bought the Wix 24816 for $22 at my local auto parts store. It comes with a single sheet of instructions indicating how to change the filter. On my 2005 Escape, there is a panel at the base of the windshield on the passenger side. You have to stop the wipers away from the park position to get at one of the screws. That cover comes off, another cover lifts out, and there is an empty plastic box the size of the Wix filter ;-). The intermediate cover is kind of hard to wiggle back into place with the filter installed.

Reply to
dold

I bought the WIX 24816 from the local part place $19 dollars each. He had to order them, but had them the next day. They really make a difference. I but them in both the 2005 and 2006 Escape.

Reply to
E. BOROWICZ