California taxes

I am thinking of buying a used car in California from a dealer. What taxes/fees will I be charged? I do not live in CA, I live in WA and will be registering the vehicle there?.

dimag

Reply to
dimag

I believe you can tell the dealer you are out of state and they can sell it to you without CA taxes. You will present that info to WA when you get your vehicle inspected and registered. You will then pay WA sales tax.

Reply to
I. Care

You could pose the question to your state Department of Motor Vehicles and I am sure they could tell you the procedure. I.Care is probably correct, but some states require special forms to be filled out and it is nice to have what you need before you leave for the seller.

Reply to
Ken

I did the same thing with an RV but registered in Colorado. I paid the Colorado sales taxes, once I registered it; the CA dealer wouldn't collect them, or the CA sales tax. A big "but" though, he had to deliver it out of state. We were in Riverside so we just drove to the border towing his vehicle. Once across the border, we parted ways and he went back to Riverside. Saved $7,000. Jim

Reply to
Jim C

thanks everybody for the replies. That would work for me then.

dimag

Reply to
dimag