Can Anything Stop Toyota?

Page 3 of 16

Really? It's kind of the contrary to what I'd expect. Weird...
Thanks.
In being of

Joe... I want you to identify the actual source of your assertion that "75-80% of Crown Victory sales are to these customoers (state, municipal, taxi). I want to see your information for myself ... that's all.

At least 10 years ago.
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

The engine under the hood of late model Crown Vics is not a Yamaha motor. It is a Ford designed and built "modular" V-8. They build them at one of two factories - Windsor Canada or Romeo Michigan. See http://www.allfordmustangs.com/artman/publish/article_190.shtml .
Ed
In being of bellicose mind posted:

Thank you, Ed. This morning I looked up and posted some details about the "modular family" of 4.6 liter Fords.
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"
C. E. White wrote:

Thanks. For a second there I was worried. :)

What does "rotate their entire income through their GM card" mean? Do they have their paychecks directly applied to their credit card?
New Question wrote:

Pretty much all of their bills as well as house payments - about 50K in real money flows through the card every year and they pay the balance directly every paycheck. Nice way to beat interest and get thoose dealer dollars.
They dropped the max to $5K IIRC, so it's not quite the deal it was.

The Crown Vic is not a clear winner (or loser) to the Civic or Corolla. They are very different cars, for very different uses. A Civic or Corolla won't seat six, but a Crown Vic will drink more fuel and be harder to park in a crowded city. Somehow, it seems unlikely that someone considering a Crown Vic is also considering a Civic or Corolla, or vice-versa.
Timothy J. Lee
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 06:56:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (Timothy J. Lee) wrote:

I can't remember ever seeing 6 people in a Crown Vic...
Scott in Florida

Good point, many people do buy more car than needed if you are only looking at the total occupant issue. I drive a CV because of the room it provides me. I do not like being squeezed into what is called "mid-sized" cars by today's standards. Still comparison between the two is like apples to oranges.

I have a client with a Crown Vic. On occasion I'll drive it to get gas. To be honest...it really dosen't have much more room than my '92 Corolla wagon for the driver.
You sit up higher, but I really don't think the drivers area is much bigger.
Scott in Florida
In being of bellicose mind posted:

The VERY point I alluded earlier. A "full sized" car does provide room for more passengers than a "compact." Duh. But is there really more room in a "full size" car where the driver sits compared to a "mid size" car?
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Having both a Bonneville and an Intrigue, I say, yes, the Bonneville has much more hip and shoulder room than the Intrigue. I could also push the seat further back in the Bonneville, but then I wouldn't be able to reach the pedals... and I'm 6'5"!
Short legs ah? ;)
mike hunt
Neo wrote:

being of bellicose mind posted:

There are more inches across the width of the car, so yes. It's not just leg room, but shoulder room. The CV has it, the Camery does not.

In

You fell for it, Thomas. Inches across the car does not automatically translate into more room in the driver's seat. The variables that compromise DRIVER room are evident in many SUVs compared to sedans and many compact cars.
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

I fell for nothing.

if youre looking for driver room only buy a car with one seat, right in the center, or better yet drive a bike plenty of rrom then.
try a deloran., there pretty roomy for the driver
heh... just a little humor
ken
being of bellicose mind posted:

crap man over the weekend i had 6 full sized men in my f250 extended cab
crown vic can easily seat 6 my gramps had one
kenny

<snip> As for a typical GM product? 150K

I've owned Hondas, Subarus, Toyotas, Mitsubishi and now a '97 Chevy Suburban and I do all my own wrenching/maintenance. I bought the Burb thinking that GM had finally stepped up to the plate for quality and reliability (along with the "other" domestic marques). Nope, that Professional Grade stuff is just marketing hype.
That @#%&%! thing started falling apart @ 50,000 mi. when the AC compressor teflon seals went and since then the transmission has eaten its young when the TCC solenoid failed and the sun reaction shell cracked at the spin weld, the engine intake manifold gasket leaked, the wiper control board failed, the rear axles seals failed and ruined the rear brakes in the process, the exhaust system cracked in two and fell off, the brake vacuum booster unit failed, the front ball joints needed to be replaced because the rubber grease bladder rotted and split open, it was recalled because the electric rear-view mirror switch would short out and set the driver's door on fire, it eats brake pads every 25k mi. (and doesn't stop very good when the brakes are OK), the drivers seat rocks back and forth because a small internal piece breaks and I've had to replace the oil lines twice and now the third set are starting to leak at the couplings.
Two of the failures torpedoed our family summer vacation plans two years in a row. Digging around on the web, these problems are well-known on Suburbans and GM continues to make the same 4L60E transmission with the same defective valve body and sun shell to this day. It now has 95,000 mi. on it and the next "well known" failures waiting for me are the $600 fuel pump module in the gas tank and the $800 Eaton limited-slip differential grenading without warning. The damn thing has cost me $6000 in repairs, more than *all* my previous vehicles combined!! All of those previous vehicles went well over 100,000+ mi. with only the expected consumables like plugs, belts, filters, oil and tires needing attention. Our current 12 yr. old Mitsubishi Montero is still running strong @ 120,000 mi. and is ready to be passed on to our oldest boy that will soon be getting his license.
This snake-bit Suburban is my first and last(!!) GM and I'm trading it in on a new Toyota Sequoia for the wife and a new Tundra Double Cab for me. Like someone wiser than me said, "There is no education in the second kick of a mule." No more GM for us ... ever!
VLJ