Can Anything Stop Toyota?

Page 10 of 16
I stand corrected ALL vehicle break down, except Toyota, right? LOL
mike hunt
MDT Tech wrote:

I have defined what a "break-down" is .... so your Fords should fair a bit better. But you remain a malcontent. Come to think of it, Mercedes "break-down" a lot too. Then again, this may be influenced by the area I live in. ;-)
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

You're so full of shit, just like 99% of plastic/fake southern californians.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Eastward Bound) spake unto the assembled masses in

Been watching too many '60s anti-establishment hippie movies, have you?
--
TeGGeR

This isn't just Ford though... this is everybody. NOBODY tests anything anymore. When it proves to be deficient, they simply patch it... As a computer user, you shouldn't be bitching about Ford. Another big corporation should be miles higher on your list...
Actually, car companies do test their vehicles. "NOBODY tests anything anymore" is an incorrect assessment of the current automotive industry.

That definitely explains all the SUV recalls in the last few years, where mismatched sets of tyres mashed differentials, the Ford Explorer fiasco, Jeep CJs tipping over in tight corners, GM rear brakes failing after 50,000kms, the Cadillac Northstar emissions fiasco, the Optispark distributer sucking in moisture issue that only got corrected in '95, the BMW Nikasil block issue, plastic manifolds that crack in 100000 miles, the GM Dexcool 3.4L V6 issue, and all the other ones we don't know about.
Let's rephrase: Bare minimum testing rather than no testing. At the rate that they push these things to market, is it any surprise? Please tell me that it is.

snipped...

I forgot I wanted to address this one before...I used to have a friend that bought a Fiero (GM) that made fun of my devotion to Fords (since my Dad worked there) but still asked me for rides to the dealership as MANY - MANY times his car needed worked on but my poor Ford Escort had nary a problem...and was always available. Before my 2000 Focus I never had any major problems with any other Ford and I've been driving many Fords since 1980...low end ones - Maverick, Pinto, Escort , Tempo and 2 Foci - 2000 and now a 2003 without any recalls or problems except a smelly A/C. I've always gotten my moneys worth out of them. Linda ZX5 2003 red!!!
"Philip" wrote:

Frequently.
Ed

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU DUMB BIGOTED IGNORANT HIPOCRITICAL TROLL! Go back under your bridge and stay there!
I thought I had you on my killfile list. Now I'll have to try again.
One of these days Philip will be buried in his defunct TOY o DUH and were all gonna gloat.
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

No, its true, his statement wasnt. I've been in this group since 1996, way before even you Mike, in fact, I was invited by the founder "Rousch" and it was only 8 post a day! Now this guys comes in, pops off, we'll probably see him in here for a week doing damage control (putting out the fires) for Ford, then he'll be gone.
--

SENATOR ZELL MILLER DEMOCRAT OF GEORGIA, the nation's most prominent
conservative Democrat, said today he will endorse President Bush for
MDT Tech wrote:

There's a double-standard when it comes to imports. You pay more, you must be getting more, and anybody who argues with you must be a fool. Kind of like the Emperor's new clothes.

I can tell you this much. After practically pushing my mom's Ranger to the lot for a trade in, 2 vehicles with cracked head gaskets, major suspension problems on a 40K Expedition, and my dad's 4.0 litre V6 Ranger that has about as much pep as a turtle. I've seen all the Ford products I can take. Maybe you Ford owners can play with the "non-boring" little gadgets inside the car while waiting on a tow truck. As for me, I'm sold on Toyota quality.

Oh........good for you!

Actually, Toyota engines are extremely reliable. The fact that they use a few less layers of paint, however, is reason to worry - the cars will rot to pieces very quickly, unless waxing, polishing, and rust protection are done with fanatic repetition. They are solid and reliable cars, however, if looked after. Not very stylish, mind you, but but reliable.
If a US company were to buy Toyota, I think that the quality of NA cars would improve a great deal - case in point being Jaguar, whose engineering make the LS and new Thunderbird into pretty kickass luxury cars, or the Asuna-designed Sunfire/Cavalier. Toyota would probably benefit too.

Those days are long gone for ANY auto manufacturer. It's infinitely cheaper to make unit body cars with wimply little sewing machine engines that need to be spinning 5000rpm to move the car at 80km/h. Good handling is a side-effect, simply because the mass isn't there to allow the car to wallow. Now, if only they'd get the idea with SUVs - bad-handling 4x4 station wagons with no luggage space that owners would be mortified to drive on a dirt road, much less off-road. I always love winter because it really demonstrates to SUV people that their tanks don't handle any better than most cars on a slippery surface, and that 4x4 doesn't apply to braking. Tee hee.

In being of bellicose mind posted:

5,000 rpm at 50 mph? Surely you are talking about a 400cc Honda four cylinder motorcycle I own ... but not any automobile.
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

I was being facetious. ;) But still, you get the idea. There's something not quite refined about a poor little four getting thrashed to drive highway normal speeds. I have no idea about the shifting of my new LT1 RoadMaster yet, but I'd assume that it's doing ~1500rpm at 50mph, if its gearing is anything like my old LSC.
In being of bellicose mind posted:

Of course. ;-) But there is NOTHING unrefined about high RPM, unless the context is a luxury car. Case in point, HONDA pioneered mass production of short stroke high RPM fours in motorcycles and automobiles. "Thrashed" is a low RPM, long stroke 6 cylinder viewpoint. ;-) I retired from driving OTR trucks. 60 mph was typically 1500 rpm and sometimes less. On the other end of the scale is my aforementioned 400cc four cylinder Honda. 60 mph in top gear is 6,500 rpm. Redline at 13,500. Stroke / piston speed is everything.
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

I'm definitely guilty of the low rpm luxury viewpoint... my LSC (HO 302) was still geared so that it wasn't really working unless I felt like doing 140mph. It redlined at 6,500- had a 3" stroke, and a 4" bore. I wish that I could have put that engine into something else... I could nearly get the front wheels off the ground. Handled like a Benz too. :) The Buick kills it for power and torque, but isn't so great around bends, but hey... it makes up for it with the soft pillowy ride. No, it doesn't induce nausea like a Cadillac ;)