Can RWD be as good as FWD in Winter - Crown Vic, Marquis, Marauder cars

Page 1 of 2
Is this possible? Has anyone driven both one of these RWD big blocks and a FWD and compared them? Currently I'm driving a 97 Taurus and it handles alright in snow. I haven't spun out or been stuck, except
this one time going slowly up an iced out hill, I had to get out and push :P.
In article <ad642020-f740-4a56-a73d-f9ee7a941ad2
|and a FWD and compared them?
I have both RWD and FWD cars, live in New York State. The RWD car, a 95 4.6 v8 T-Bird, benefits from real snow tires and some extra weight in the trunk. It also has ABS and electronic traction control.
The best RWD snow car I had was a 65 Pontiac Grand Prix 389 v8. This full frame car with old Firestone town and country snow tires would get thru anything I threw at it, including getting up a steep hill towards Congers off the Lake Deforest causeway in significant snow.
I don't think they make cars that heavy or snow tires with that type of aggressive tread, great in snow but poor at highway speeds.
The FWD cars with ABS do fairly well in the snow with all season tires (whatever "all season" means today).
I was thinking of getting a Marauder, but two things would bug me: winter driving and no more rear wiper (i'm used to it on my Taurus wagon now).
Yuan wrote:

You don't need a rear wiper on that car...
and i drive my crown vic all the time in the winter, its fine with winter tires on it...
any car needs winter tires
Rear wipers are only good for a station wagon... Any sedan do not need a rear wiper. I bought 7 Crown Victorias, and I never got the rear window dirty.
Marauder = GOOD
Crown Victorias are the best snow cars ever. 10X better than the FWD Camry in snow ! Camry understeers a lot while the Crown Vic does not understeer at all.

Jeremie Bedard wrote:

something about the way the car is designed too you don't get as much crap on your windshield reducing the need for spraying washer fluid so much.. in my wifes car every 3 minutes you're looking for wash fluid... same in my work ranger.
a car is only as good as the driver. even four wheel drive vehicles suck in the snow when they are driven by idiots.

I drive my 4WD ranger in snow covered streets all the time in gas saving 2WD mode most of the time.

ABS and snows on all 4 up here in southern Ontario. You can throttle steer a RWD car. Impossible with FWD. That said, the 2.5 Mystique with all speed traction control and front wheel drive is not a BAD handling car in snow (with a set of 4 Graspics)

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

I agree 100%. I drive a ranger for work, and a 3/4tonne silverado for my personal use, and today i took the wifes car out (civic) and the front end just takes loose on it at will it seems to me... it has brand new this year goodyear nordic's all around... the back end doesn't get squirley like a RWD, but the front end does!
I'm just used to the rwd again and prefer this...
My first car was a rwd crown vic, then an f150, while in school i had a fwd nissan sentra, and thought they were the cats ass in the snow... then back to rwd trucks...
Anyway, my opinion is both are good in the snow as long as you know how to drive them.
I too prefer RWD with no antilock, it is broken on my ranger anyway, and i disconnected it on my silverado.
the ranger has Kelly Safari MSA's Studded on it, and the truck has goodyear workhorse extra grips non-studed.

I just use the "ABS" as a warning vibration that my front wheels are locked & remind me to pump the pedal. Driving in the snow does take some practice & a lot of patience.
Shawn wrote:

and ABS doesn't help stopping in snow
Picasso wrote:

I thought ABS is helpful in light, slippery snow, but worse in deep snow.
Jeff

Ice is the driver's worst nightmare. Imagine driving on Teflon coated roads.
back before we had abs brakes, front wheel drive, automatic transmissions, automatic traction control, auto piolet in cars, we had no problems driving on ice and snow covered roads because we knew how to drive. people nowdays are idiots.

amen

ole wrote:

haha, nice
Shawn wrote:

Uhhm, gas saving and ranger don't work well in the same sentence ;P

In 4WD, I can see the gas gauge needle slowly creep from F to E.
My truck does fairly good on gas but I only drive about 3500 miles a year & even though it is a 2004, I only have 13,600 miles on the odometer.
In my humble experience.... no. The FWD offers superior traction and, driven properly, superior performance in these conditions.
If you want to win a drag race on dry pavement... RWD is the place to be. But FWD has benefits that many don't get to experience.
"Why you ask, grasshopper?".