Can RWD be as good as FWD in Winter - Crown Vic, Marquis, Marauder cars

Page 2 of 2
old geezers (like me) will say that we got where we had to go with RWD......we learned to drive with RWD and knew how to handle situations. didn't always have snow tires, but very much needed on smaller cars. I
had a Volvo 144 that was like a mountain goat........a Checker with studded tires that was a locomotive.......and even got thru everything in a Chevette with snows.
But someone who has only driven FWD might have problems adjusting. I'm not impressed with FWD.....and know from experience that it won't go up the hill to my house like the old RWD (weight transfer?).
Have just completed my first week of winter driving in a Taurus AWD.....wow! It's no Jeep, but completely seamless: I can't even tell the road is slick, until I notice that other cars (FWD and RWD) can't get going!
| |Have just completed my first week of winter driving in a Taurus |AWD.....wow! It's no Jeep, but completely seamless: I can't even tell |the road is slick, until I notice that other cars (FWD and RWD) can't |get going! | |
AWD / 4WD is great in the winter until you have to hit the brakes.
Then you are at the mercy of physics like all us poor slobs in FWD and RWD vehicles.