can't locate miss

manually closed the egr vale on an old 351 cleveland. that helped some. Now we pull plug wires off and there is no effect on idle or roughness. I'd think at least something would change, but nadda. college kid and I had it running great--I rebuilt the carb for him, he put in new plugs wires and dist cap and rotor. It was smooth. he left it with his uncle while he visited his mother out of state. came back to (another) new cap and rotor, wires and pugs. chrome valve covers and a chrome racing type air filter. But it barely started (the egr) and still has this rough idle and black exhaust. choke is open. I'm lost on it now. just plain out of ideas. Any help?

Reply to
GEORGE S JAYNES

"GEORGE S JAYNES" wrote: ( old 351 cleveland )

Left car with relative. Engine was running great--rebuilt carb, new plugs wires dist cap and rotor.

Came back and found another new cap/rotor/wires/pugs, chrome valve covers and a chrome racing type air filter.

But it barely started, has this rough idle and black exhaust. Pulled plug wires off; no effect on idle or roughness. Manually closing egr vale helped some. Choke is open. Any other ideas? _____________________________________________________

From observation it's running rich and from tests the ignition is okay. If it's not a clog in the new air filter, a re-re-build of the carburetor may be needed.

Good luck.

Wendy & John. ____________________________________________________

Reply to
Wendy & John

Umm, are the plug wires going to the right plugs? Since you didn't do it, Unk may have goofed.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Plug wires are right. I'm thinking genous uncle either swapped carbs, or readjusted the carb i rebuilt. Now that you've mentioned it ( of course i overlooked my own work!) it does act like the carb is out of adjustment. Thanks, I'll check it this weekend. George

Reply to
GEORGE S JAYNES

"GEORGE S JAYNES" wrote in news:%j8Oe.432$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

Hmmm..... Blown Power Valve?

Damn I hate carbs! Glad I dont have any anymore!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I quit thinking about carbs when I got my first TBI 302 in my old T-Bird. Except for a rare spritz with cleaner and sillycone I did nothing to it.

184k and still 24mpg when I sold it.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton