Can the oil pan be removed from a '66 Fairlane w/289 in car w/o loosening the engine mounts?

I want to change the oil pump on a '66 Fairlane wagon w/289. Reading the 1970 Chilton's that covers this car, it seems to indicate you can pull the oil pan in car, it doesnt mention loosening the engine mounts or even the sway bar.

But danged if I could get it out. Is there a trick? The only times I've ever had the oil pan off the engine has been out of the car.

Reply to
Doc

Even back then, Chiltons best use was as a paper supply in the outhouse. You've just found out why. I'm not familiar with that particular car, but I've never seen a RWD Ford product that didn't require at least raising the motor off of the mounts. (Large trucks excluded) If you're just doing the gasket, the pan usually doesn't need to come completely off. Clean it up in-situ and glue the gasket to the block with contact cement. If you need to completely remove the pan: Raise the motor, drop the pan down, unbolt the oil pump and let it drop into the pan. You may have to loosen or remove other things for clearance, like steering linkage, etc.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

trucks excluded)

You've just found out why.

??? Don't know what Chilton your reading. You need to turn the crankshaft to get clearance.

Reply to
dahpater

You have to lower the stabilizer bar and then turn the crankshaft until the pan will clear the counterweight(s). You shouldn't have to lift it off of the mounts.

Reply to
John Kunkel

You've just found out why.

Chilton manuals have always been vague on vehicle specific procedures. The information that they DO supply is good. It's the information they leave out that will bite you in the butt every time. Granted, the problem is worse in recent years as cars have gotten more complex, But the earlier Chiltons were nothing to write home about either.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Way, way back when, I had a '64 Ford Galaxy with a 390. To change the oil pump, I had to take the bolts out of the pan, then use a ratchet and socket on the damper pulley bolt to turn the crank and work the pan down (I removed the spark plugs first). IIRC, the pan didn't come all the way out, but dropped down plenty enough to get the pump and pick-up tube out.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Turning the crank helped but I ultimately had to remove the sway bar and remove the pickup to get the pan completely out. Lifting the engine wasn't necessary.

Reply to
Doc