Car going on its own.

Ok, I have a 71, Ford LTD.. I dont know anything about cars, and am going to my dads this weekend, so if I dont respond, thats why.. but my car hit 40 mph going uphill.. and I NEVER hit the gas. It goes by
itself, just have to hit the brakes to slow down, even then it tries to go.. I think it might be idled too high, but any lower.. and it stalls out. PLEASE help :(
Columbine wrote:

Carb is way out of tune. Idle speed / curb speed solenoid is stuck, or dashpot, or choke linkage/bellcrank could be too. You need to get to a mechanic(not a "tech") that KNOWS carbs. It sounds like it's pretty straight forward, you just need to find the right guy. It's a pretty simple carb on that engine.
Rob
trainfan1 wrote:

Yep, what Rob said. I;ll add a little more. A constant high idle on a carbed Ford was usually caused by the choke tube(s) being broken off at the exhaust manifold. They pulled heat off of the manifold to open the choke. The choke wouldn't open and it would stay on fast idle. On a car this old it could also be that someone has adjusted the idle speed screw up to compensate for many other concerns.