Car mpg ratings going down

Page 1 of 3
Car mpg ratings going down http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-02-22-hybrids-usat_x.htm#chart
-- "If they pull a knife, you pull a gun. If they put one of yours in the
hospital, you put one of theirs in the morgue." Sean Connery, "The Untouchables"
There ain't anybody that drive 60 MPH between Calgary and Edmonton... Been there done that - had to do my laundry....
I do Jim. 33mpg. Amazing. :)

The sticker MPG is obtained through carefully controlled conditions and is meant as a comparison between makes/models only....
The biggest contributing factor to poor fuel economy is the driver... either through poor habits, climate/demography or lack of proper maintenance. There isn't a sticker in the world that is going to fix any of these.
Modern folk appear to expect lots and deliver little...
Has anyone ever noticed that if you hang a sign that says "wet paint", most people have an overwhelming urge to actually touch it to see?
It's not a scam... it's called reducing noxious emissions in one fashion or another..... Done right, there is a very real chance that our great grandchildren will love us for our efforts....
Tell that to the cows, they don't seem to care about their offspring. LOL
mike

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:36:21 GMT, "Jim Warman"

I put those kind of people in the same category as the ones who touch the metal bar with the sign "uranium rod, don't touch"
I have no trouble getting rated (or better) gas mileage on my 1995 Escort.
On 27 Feb 2007 09:04:45 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

How would you fair in a wreck with that car?
Saving gas money is not going to help you in a car wreck.
On Feb 27, 3:29 pm, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

I've been driving Escorts since Jan 1985 and been in several wrecks already, and gasp, lived to talk about it.
On 1 Mar 2007 07:44:16 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Actually pretty sturdy little critters. You should have seen my nephew's when they pulled it off the hydro pole he wrapped it around. He didn't have a scratch. ANd his had 300,00km on it and was getting pretty rusty. It's the only car my brother ever gets for his 3 kids. Oldest 2 each on their second ones, youngest daughter on her first (actually second too, but it was because her dad had hers and another one - put them up for sale, whichever one sold first went - and it was the wagon she was driving, so she got the sedan) Son put his wagon sideways into a post about 6 feet in the air, and older daughter got her hatchback rear ended - so now son has an XR2? (whatever they call the little Escort coupe) and daughter has a sedan.

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:08:13 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

The odds are these "accidents" in small cars will eventually kill you or put you in a wheelchair for life.
Small target hit by larger target, larger target wins [odds]
Bob Brown wrote:

Larger target hit more often than smaller target (odds). In any event, if you're belted lap & shoulder like you should be, you're just about indestructible up to a 60 mph collision speed - reality of physics and proven fact, backed by 30+ years of statistics. If you believe hiding behind a larger mass alone in a collision will save you from injury or death, good luck.
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 23:24:21 -0500, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

Typical Yank Tank Hyperbole.

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:29:02 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Fancy talk, but you still die.
On 1 Mar 2007 07:44:16 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The law of odds say that won't last long.
"Bob Brown" <.> wrote in message wrote:

What is the law of odds? I have never heard of it.

But that's where the test really went bad with the hybrids. The hybrids do overly well in the city cycle. The rules had to be adjusted to prevent them from starting with overcharged batteries and running much of the cycle on electric only.
In truth, they do get exceptional mileage in the city. Some of that should be achieved merely by shutting off the engine when stopped, which can be even more important in real life than in the EPA cycle.
Hybrids as Taxis: http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/04/20/004462.html http://www.hybridcars.com/fleets/hybrid-taxicabs.html http://www.greentaxi.org/testimonials.php

Some of the "hypermiler" techniques used by hybrid drivers to get mileage in the 80s can be used in small conventional cars to get into the 60s.
--
---
Which would you rather have
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:31:47 -0500, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

First, I'd look for a car that handled and stopped well enough to AVOID 90% of the crashes - preferably one that got about 60MPG and gave you a better than 50% chance of survival. Except for the 60mpg, there are quite a few of those out there. And if you don't drive over 50mph, the survival rate gets WELL over 80%

On Feb 27, 4:44 pm, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

So *you're* that asshole in the center lane of a 65mph-limit highway driving at 45mph. Slow drivers are hazardous to themselves and others on the highway. All the traffic passing and lane-changing around the slow 45mph vehicle is FAR more accident-prone than a steady-moving traffic stream at 70mph.
Additionally, I don't know what kind of handcarved hardwood Amish buggy you drive, but all my current-model vehicles shift down to a cruising RPM of around 1800 close to the 60mph mark. At 50mph they're doing >2200. So, what price gas mileage?
Damn troll.