Car mpg ratings going down

Page 2 of 3
On 1 Mar 2007 08:00:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No, most of my driving is in town - and since most accidents occur in town, town driving tends to be safer as far as survivability goes.
I generally keep up with traffic, and take secondary roads when I don't want to be pushed 145km/hr by all the gasshog speed demons out there.
I don't mind high speed driving when I can maintain a safe distance both ahead and behind me - which isn't very often on the 400 series highways up here. I've slowed down a bit as I've aged - and the speed capability of my cars has gone up. I remember when 140kph was wide open, and I've driven well over the 160kph on many occaisions in my youth.Back then gas was cheap, and I had no responsibilities.
My Pontiac TranSport does just over 1500RPM at 60mph (100kph) in overdrive - and about the same an8 80kph in third. It's aerodynamics are VERY good, but driving a steady 80-90kph gives significantly better mileage than trying to drive 100-120, and having to change lanes/accellerate all the time to maintain that speed.
Open road high speed cruising (no traffic) isn't that hard on gas. On a given trip I can do it in 2 hours on a half tank, or do it in 3 on just over a quarter tank.Mostly open roads - a trip I do quite often. Generally it takes me 3 hours. Sunday night in the snowstorm (almost a blizzard) it took over 4.

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:21:05 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

What is it with everyone using the word "accident" all the time? Most of these are WRECKS where someone did something stupid or was trying to prove something. Like teach a tailgater a lesson or get to work even though YOU DECIDED it's ok to leave 20 minutes late.
Those are not accidents.
Slipping on ice on your steps on home is an accident.
"Bob Brown" <.> wrote in message

I believe that you say those are not accidents because they could be avoided with safe driving practices.

This, too, can be avoided with some easy measures, like putting salt on the steps.
This, too, is not an accident.
Jeff
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 23:28:02 -0500, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

flipped on your roof on the road below like the poor sucker who almost landed on the car of a co-worker Wednesday evening. Big pickup truck didn't help him at all.

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:31:27 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Law of odds. Odds are far better for survival in a larger car/vehicle.
How many people in compact car crashes versus people in SUV's die?
You can see a car wreck involving a compact car, the person usually dies or has life altering injuries. The SUV driver usually lives and suffers no injuries.
BTW, you will notice that when accident deaths are given by car type they fail to mention the injury type. Being in a vegetative state or a wheelchair for life is not exactly a good outcome. Those subcompact cars will give you those results.
When you have 12 inches of space in the compact car for you head to hit something it is not safe. The bigger SUV's give you double those kinds of distances. It matters a great deal.
If subcompact cars are so safe why don't cops use them? You could make them really fast so don't use that excuse. Don't use the excuse of where to put a prisoner, paddy-wagons could be used.
I think you all are being very silly defending the safety of a small vehicle.
Bob Brown <.> wrote:

More spouting after a fundamentally wrong guess.
--
---
On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 17:28:41 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@77.usenet.us.com wrote:

You seem unable or unwilling to answer my question.
Bob Brown <.> wrote:

Unwilling would be the right answer.
Check with your local constabulary, although most in North America accept the certification of the California Highway Patrol or Michigan State Police. That would be for a high speed pursuit vehicle, with separate specs for front and rear wheel drive.
You must be unaware of the cities using the Toyota Prius, and other cars that wouldn't meet your definition of safe. Those aren't subcompact, but size, not safety, puts a lower limit on effective size usable for police work.
--
---
On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 20:30:23 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@77.usenet.us.com wrote:

I can see this subject of safety has made many people angry. I will cease the conversation. I thought we could all agree on a point or two, I was wrong.
Good day.
Bob Brown <.> wrote:

No, your throwaway one line comments that seem so obviously true to you are not accepted by some people.
--
---
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 23:40:38 -0500, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

Odds of surviving the crash, yes. Odds of avoiding the crash, no - so odds of surviving, no. Much better odds of surviving if you don't crash in the first place.

How many SUVs crash vs small cars?

Not if two compacts collide, or 2 SUVs.

I dissagree. Usually in the compact you either live or die. In the big tank you may survivewith serious injuries. No matter, it's the BIG vehicles that are dangerous to the little vehicles - not the little vehicles that are inherently unsafe. I'd have been dead 35 years ago if I'd have been driving a big car instead of my 1960 Morris 850. (would have been head on with a 65MPH 390 Ford Galaxie - the little Mini was able to get out of the way where even my Valiant would have been flattened.)

Because a donut stuffed 250lb cop won't fit comfotably in one. You can't haul prisoners. They do not project a "macho" image. Lots of other reasons far more convincing than crashworthiness.

defending the Hummers, Escalades, Avalanches, and the like. And F350 SuperDuties as personal vehicles.

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 14:15:55 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

$3.00 per gallon gasoline is not only cheap, it is sinfully cheap for what the product gives you. Other than Uranium fuel rods for a nuclear power plant you just can't get more bang for the buck than with gasoline.
Saving a few dollars per month is silly when you consider we all do other things far more wasteful. You NEED transportation and then complain about gasoline costs versus the safety of the car. But do people complain about food prices?
I do not understand why you all keep saying that smaller cars are safer than larger cars.
NHTSA statistics should bear out information to support your claims on small car safety. Could you or someone else please provide some data from NHTSA's website to support the claim that a smaller car is better?
Even if you had ONLY small cars or ONLY big cars it wouldn't change the overall safety of either type of car.
Their are more SUV's than ever before. Are you saying that more people die every year? It increases with the greater amounts of SUVs each year? Is their a chart showing a parallel increase in SUVS sales and car deaths?
I'm just asking because it seems counterintuitive to say a smaller car is safer than a larger car.
On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 14:53:42 -0500, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

even safer - and big "yank tanks" are environmentally insane. I've owned a few. I've owned a few really tiny ones. At my size (over 6 ft, over 200 lbs) the really little ones are not terribly practical for me. Particularly when I need to carry stuff around. Something like a Corolla, or better yet a Vibe, would suit me just fine, but I'm stuck with a budget of about 6 grand per vehicle.

On 1 Mar 2007 08:00:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

BTW, I love the way the word "accident" is thrown around. Very few, maybe 1%, of all car wrecks are true "accidents". Most people crash because they did something really stupid or the other people did something stupid.
Car "wrecks" is what we should talk about.
Bob Brown <.> wrote:

I see now. You're just spouting. It took three posts before you stopped being coy and said what you thought, but now you are comparing a car with a four star crash rating to a bicycle.
--
---
"Bob Brown" <.> wrote in message

Yet it is a false choice. No car has a near 100% fatality rate.
Jeff
Bob Brown <.> wrote:

My Ford Escape Hybrid gets 40 in heavy city traffic. I expect that a Prius would actually get 50. My neighbor is commuting in some aggressive traffic on mountain roads and getting 45 in a Prius.
--
---
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:30:45 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@77.usenet.us.com wrote:

What happens to Prius drivers when they have car wrecks @ 35+ mph? Do any of them live or not have paralyzed conditions?
MASS MATTERS
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:28:17 -0500, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

We lived driving 850 minis and old VW bugs. Even 60's valiants and Novas were lighter than most of today's "compacts".

Bob Brown <.> wrote:

I'm not sure what you're saying. The lighter Prius wouldn't fare as well, or the mass of the rear mounted batteries is significant enough to change the dynamics of the crash?
--
---