car problems

I have a 91 mercury sable. When I run the engine for a few minutes, it starts to rev up all by itself and then it stalls. If I turn on the AC it dies immediately. Does anyone know what it could be?

Reply to
chelise

iac valve ????

Reply to
johanb

what is iac valve??

Reply to
chelise

Idle Air Control. It is a valve that allows air for engine running when your foot is off the gas. If the car runs OK when you hit the gas, it's a very good bet. Not too expensive and somewhat easy to replace.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Or, even cheaper, buy some carburetor cleaner, take iac valve off , fill it with carb cleaner, let soak 15 min.

In the mean time spray some on your throttle plate and housing on inside, get out your toothbrush and start cleaning

most of the time this will do the trick

Reply to
johanb

thank you we will try this to see if it will solve our prob

Reply to
chelise

thank you will try

Reply to
chelise

Where can I find the ACV (Air Control Valve)?

Reply to
chelise

on top of throttle-body

Also see example