Car Won't Shut Down ?

Hi,

Have a '95 Sable.

The other night, the car wouldn't shut off. The guy fromm AAA pulled a zillion wires underthe hood, and finally got it to stop.

Apparently some rod from the ignition key assembly going down the steering tube was broken.

My question, mainly out of curiosity, as I doubt it will ever happen again (hopefully), now that it's repaired is:

What is the "best", most expedient way, to shut off a car's running, if turning the key doesn't do it ?

e.g., what wires, where, etc. to disconnect, or... ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

I would think the +12v at the coil would be the quickest and easiest. Some cars have a little bolt on it, and others have a little cap that pushes on over it. That's essentially what happens when you turn the key off, power to the coil is cut and the engine can no longer fire as there is no more spark. Not sure about on some of those modern fancy cars with multiple coils and such, but for most cars that ought to be quick and easy.

On one of those newer cars with the multiple coild and such I'd imagine you could disconnect the battery and then block off the air to the throttle body. Would stop running and have no power to the coil (which since the ignition switch is stuck on, the coil will have power whenever the battery is connected). An easier way may be if there is a long enough section of rubber fuel line to squeeze it tightly after disconnecting the battery.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Open the trunk and pull the gas tank shutoff. I know that would be pretty easy.

Reply to
wrestleantares

Cory is close, but DON'T disconnect the battery while running. You need that big capacitor there for your electronics. On the Taurus/Sable of that vintage, just pull the connector off of the primary side of the coil. You can pull the high-tension lead off the secondary side, if you want, but you are risking a jolt and/or some sparking. To get creative, you could knock the fuel pump shut-off with the jack handle until it trips, too.

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

If you have a standard (manual) transmission:

Push the clutch in, put on the emergency, put the car in reverse, push the brake petal as hard as you can and let out the clutch. Take it to the mechanic to get fixed the right way.

Some cars also have an emergency shutoff. I remember our 1983 Peugeot Turbo Diesel did.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

That would never work on '95 Sable. I'll admit... he did appear to be asking about any car in general, though.

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

Robert11 opined in news:ZE27b.5919$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Whacking the fuel shutoff is the easiest way on any given EFI car. You should ALWAYS know where it is, anyway...

BTW, if it's like the older ones I have, you cant "pull" anything to trip it... have to whack it with palm of hand or tool.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yeah, most cars today (at least in the US) don't have manual transmissions. Some don't have tranmissions at all (electric cars). However, it never hurts to know.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Smart! I bet few people think of that!! - RM

Reply to
RickMerrill

Reply to
Thomas Moats