Car won't start.

I drive a 97 Ford Taurus. Today I was changing the oil, and while I was unscrewing the oil filter, I touched the starter or a cable with the pliars and sparks were flying, similar to touching the positive to
negative ends of jumper cables. After completing the oil change, I hopped in the driver's seat and noticed a steady clicking noise, (like a clock) underneath the steering wheel/dash. When I tried to start the car, the starter doesn't make any noise. The heat, and lights work. I tried jumping the car, and nothing changed. There is just that annoying click - click - click. It clicks when the keys are NOT in the ignition.
Any thoughts?

Something tells me you just FRIED your computer...

Start pulling fuses one at a time until the clicking stops. Hopefully it's not the ECM circuit. In any event, a fried ECU still wouldn't prevent the starter motor from engaging when you turn the key unless you have a security package.
If this check turns up nothing, try checking the fuses and fusible links under the hood, usually on the driver's side.
Bob