CARBORATOR PROBLEM

I have a 1986 ford escort.

When I drive it and warm it up and then stop for about half an hour it loses power when I press on the gas pedal..

When the engine is increasing in speed it will suddenly decrease in RPMs.

What will cause this ?

Reply to
Leslie Mutchler

Not likely the carb, since it probably doesn't have one in 86

Reply to
Picasso

My mom's Escort had a carb if memory serves me right.

Reply to
El Bandito

If memory serves, Ford did not introduce fuel injection in passenger vehicles or light trucks until 1984. Quite a few engines in '86 models were still carbureted, including most Canadian and other export vehicles. If the

1986 engine was fuel injected at all, it was almost certainly CFI (throttle-body injection). From the outside those look similar to a carb. The simplest way to tell would be to remove the air cleaner (or whatever sits on top) and look inside. There will be no choke plate or venturi, and one or two large injectors will be clearly visible.
Reply to
Happy Traveler

Need to correct myself, before automotive history pundits banish me from this group forever:

1) Ford offered fuel injected engines in passenger cars at least as early as the 5.0L CFI in a 1980 Lincoln 2) The 1986-87 1.9L engine in Escorts had a multi-port injected version 3) The 1983-85 1.6L engine used "Bosch" fuel injection. Not clear how that worked.

This, of course, in the US. The British Escort is a totally different beast.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

That was only on the GT models. I had one, and the Bosch fuel injection was excellent. It was one of the reasons why I bought a GT over the regular model Escort (and wrth it too).

Reply to
scott21230

The engine didn't miss a beat all the way home.

Sea Foam is a great product!!!

Thanks for all your imputs .:)

and started the engine.

Reply to