Catalitic / injection 89 Escort GT question

Is the catalitic converter required for the injection to work properly in a 1989 Ford Escort GT 1.9L HO motor?
The whole story is, this car was given to me and it has blown oil bad for a
long time. The previous owner just re-did the head on it so that should stop most of the motor troubles it has.
But it's been blowing oil for so long that it's bound to have destroyed the CAT. So if it's not required for the injection to run, I'd like to by pass it.
Regards James R.
snipped-for-privacy@Jamesrenfrew.com
-JR- opined

If it runs okay, why bother?
Beleive me, if it's gonna go, it goes quick. If it's NOT plugged it will make no discernable difference ... except for the same effect you get when you wash the car or change its oil.
Well the car use to blow oil like the exhaust was a drain plug. So now that the motor has been redone, there is still smoke coming out of the cat.
So I'm thinking I might just get under there and do the ole broom stick routine to the cat. That is, knock out the core in the cat and empty it out.
PS - I've never noticed a wash job to make my car go faster (I'll have to check next time), but going to full synthetic in my Porsche made quite a difference.
James

for a

the
pass
NO a cat conv is not required for fuel inj to work properly. If it is clogged it will increase backpressure and may impeed high speed performance. You can always have it cut apart and the element removed. Mike