cataltic converter

Hi can anyone tells me how to check the catalytic converter for '97 Escort, if it still good ? Thanks James

SHUNJU HU wrote:

Your 97 should be OBD II. If the converter has failed chemically it will turn on the CEL and set a fault code. If it has failed physically, the immediate signs will be either rattling, or very poor engine performance. (Among other things) What makes you think it may be bad?
SHUNJU HU wrote:

OBD][ should turn on the CEL light (Check Engine)
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

Thanks for everyone. Happy holiday & safe driving ! James
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi can anyone tells me how to check the catalytic converter for '97 Escort, if it still good&nbsp;?&nbsp; Thanks James</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
SHUNJU HU wrote:

Thanks James. Same to you and yours. But, why do you think your Escort converter is bad?
Hi I had this code p0433 that keep coming up about every 200 miles, after reseted. and there's nothing wrong with canister. James

SHUNJU HU wrote:

Oh, that's nothing to do with the converter at all. That's a canister purge system related code. On these cars it's usually the the Purge Flow Sensor that fails. Ford recommends replacing the sensor and Purge Flow valve. They are both in the line to the canister, right under the battery tray. That's a really common failure and the 2 parts (used to) come as an assembly from the dealer.

I was wondering about that. Actron's site (http://www.actron.com/code_lookup.php ) calls it a "Heated Catalyst Below Threshold (Bank 2)" code. Maybe that's for the '97 Escorts with V8s. <8^P
Mike

P0433 ~is~ a bank 2 cat efficiency code.

How's that apply to a 1997 Escort? I thought the banks were the exhaust system branches - bank 1 served the head containing cylinder 1, bank 2 was the other head in dual head engines.
Michael Pardee wrote:

That's normally how it works. Could be that the PCM can only set this code and Bank 1 or 2 is irrelevant.

Possibly doesn't.

He may be getting a false code or the scan tool is interpreting it wrong, or he's relating it wrong.
Check TSBs, verify the code with a different brand scan tool.
aarcuda69062 wrote:

Oops, you're right. I was thinking of P0443. P0433 is certainly a catalyst efficiency code.
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 10:09:55 -0700, "Michael Pardee"

OBD2 P codes are standard- regardless of manufacture or model. On a 4cyl they may chooose to use either bank 1 or bank 2 codes IIRC, but the meaning is always the same - and ALL 1996 and newer passenger vehicles in North America are OBD2 compliant (by law).

Thanks for the info. James

Chech again. P0433 - Heated Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:29:50 GMT, "SHUNJU HU"

P0433 means your cat efficiency is low. That is what is turning the CEL on. Your cat is on it's last legs. The computer has done the testing for you. You will NOT pass an emissions test with that cat.