cataltic converter

Hi can anyone tells me how to check the catalytic converter for '97 Escort, if it still good ? Thanks James

Reply to
SHUNJU HU

Your 97 should be OBD II. If the converter has failed chemically it will turn on the CEL and set a fault code. If it has failed physically, the immediate signs will be either rattling, or very poor engine performance. (Among other things) What makes you think it may be bad?

Reply to
Tom Adkins

OBD][ should turn on the CEL light (Check Engine)

Reply to
El Bandito

Thanks for everyone. Happy holiday & safe driving ! James "SHUNJU HU" wrote in message news:kmEih.543728$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... Hi can anyone tells me how to check the catalytic converter for '97 Escort, if it still good ? Thanks James

Reply to
SHUNJU HU

Thanks James. Same to you and yours. But, why do you think your Escort converter is bad?

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Reply to
SHUNJU HU

Oh, that's nothing to do with the converter at all. That's a canister purge system related code. On these cars it's usually the the Purge Flow Sensor that fails. Ford recommends replacing the sensor and Purge Flow valve. They are both in the line to the canister, right under the battery tray. That's a really common failure and the 2 parts (used to) come as an assembly from the dealer.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I was wondering about that. Actron's site

calls it a "Heated Catalyst Below Threshold (Bank 2)" code. Maybe that's for the '97 Escorts with V8s.

Reply to
Michael Pardee

P0433 ~is~ a bank 2 cat efficiency code.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
SHUNJU HU

How's that apply to a 1997 Escort? I thought the banks were the exhaust system branches - bank 1 served the head containing cylinder 1, bank 2 was the other head in dual head engines.

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Oops, you're right. I was thinking of P0443. P0433 is certainly a catalyst efficiency code.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

That's normally how it works. Could be that the PCM can only set this code and Bank

1 or 2 is irrelevant.
Reply to
Tom Adkins

P0433 means your cat efficiency is low. That is what is turning the CEL on. Your cat is on it's last legs. The computer has done the testing for you. You will NOT pass an emissions test with that cat.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Chech again. P0433 - Heated Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

OBD2 P codes are standard- regardless of manufacture or model. On a

4cyl they may chooose to use either bank 1 or bank 2 codes IIRC, but the meaning is always the same - and ALL 1996 and newer passenger vehicles in North America are OBD2 compliant (by law).
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Possibly doesn't.

He may be getting a false code or the scan tool is interpreting it wrong, or he's relating it wrong.

Check TSBs, verify the code with a different brand scan tool.

Reply to
aarcuda69062