catalytic converter 97 Taurus

I have a 97 Taurus wagon.... drives great... just had some of the exhaust replaced.. muffler and a couple of pipes.... It failed inspection because
the check engine light is on, and the inspector say's it the catalytic converter... outside of the light, it seems fine... The mechanic said, maybe he can figure something out to get it to pass... I really don't want to replace it $$$$$. He reset the light and in 2 days it came back on.. So any ideas how to pass the inspection. thanks J
Ummmmm... fix the problem??? Nobody enjoys spending money on auto repairs... especially when it is an older vehicle. Sadly, if we are to continue using this vehicle, we must do what is required.
If yours showed signs of poor catalyst efficiency, your mechanic could check the downstream O2 sensor but these rarely fail. If the catalytic converter has indeed failed, you are asking people how to pass inspection with a faulty emission control device and expecting these same people to breathe the emissions you will leave in your wake....
Zero pollution is a pipe dream that we will never achieve. However, as responsible adults, it is up to each and every one of us to reduce the "footprint" we leave behind.

Thanks.. anyone else have any ideas..

dwolf wrote:

What happened to your exhaust? Wasn't it stainless steel?
Rob
I don't know ??? It's my wife's car and she dealt with it ???

dwolf wrote:

Ahhhhhhhh... she went offroading & tore the system off...
Rob

That's pistols at dawn.... Rob!!!

dwolf wrote:

Makes you wonder if part of the exhaust that was replaced was the cat. Replaced with something thats not a cat. First I would make sure there isnt an exhaust leak before the after cat O2 sensor. (because the recent exaust work)

Gut it and straight-pipe it. As in, you have to run a pipe through the cat. You can't just gut the cat and leave it, the check engine light will come on. Now of course you have to be good friends with your mechanic to have him do this ;)
-GV
GlassVial wrote:

And WHY would you do this? The problem is the CEL is on because of a bad CAT.

Because it would fix the problem?
-GV
light went out... went back and we passed..... done for now !!

GlassVial wrote:

not if the problem is the check engine light is on.....see? your not fixing anything. what happens is the cat wears out and acts just like no cat (like your straight pipe), the O2 behind the cat sees its not working so the light comes on......