catalytic converter noise?

i have a 94 plymouth acclaim, recently I started hearing a rattling noise from under the car, it has gotten worse and the only thing that seems to be in the area of the rattling is the converter, i get close to the converter and the noise seems to get louder. is this common, a rattling noise and if so what causes it and what should be done to correct it. also, can a bad converter cause the car to loose power and hesitate on the freeway?

THANKS

Reply to
BigMacJuiced

yes a bad converter can cause those (gets worse as it warms up), except the rattling, which is likely the heat shield on it rusting and coming loose..

Reply to
Dark1

"BigMacJuiced" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

If it's a thunky rattling, the core is coming apart or melting... if it's a tinny rattle, that's the heat shield which can be fixed fairly inexpensively.

BTW, it NEEDS a heat shield.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Clunking= fused, cracked stuff in converter.

lose power can be converter for sure. Had this exact scenario in my 84 Vette several years ago. loss of power, rattling from converter, forst thought it was in the torque converter.

Cost a few hundred to fix.

Reply to
GeorgeC