cause of stalling?? help please

My old car won't feed out computer info, and the mechanics hate to work on it without it. They say it could be too many different things, and just giv e up. Unless the weather is warm and dry, it's stalling every time I make a full stop, and very frequently even when I slow down to 10-15 mph. Idles v ery rough and soon shuts off. Drives fine above 20 mph. Sparks, battery, al ternator, O2 sensor all replaced this year, recent oil change. Any ideas?

Reply to
geraldrm

Old car? O2 Sensor(s) new? How old can a car be if there is an O2 Sensor?

You can buy, for about 30 bucks, an OBD I scan tool that works on your car. The maker (there might be more) is Actron. I forget the model number, but

9130 sticks in my head.

You are describing a vacuum leak. Well, you're not describing it very well, but what you said makes me suggest that's where you begin.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in news:m0ju37$sk3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

you have to give us more info. what model year make eng ect. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

I have to give you more info? I am not the OP, I do not have the info you requested. We can assume the car/truck to be an OBD I-class vehicle since it has O2 Sensor(s), and it is old enough that the garage that likes OBD II-class vehicles is not thrilled to see this one pull into the driveway.

My instinct is that if the garage is not excited about making money on this car/truck, then the owner is going to have a difficult time with it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My scanner will read it. I'm old enough and poor enough that I'd take a crack at it if he could get it to Waterloo Ontario

Reply to
clare

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in news:m0mi5b$sr2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I am not sure why your making that assumption? if its gas it has O2 sensors on it, from the first comp cont. carb to present. He didn`t say the shop didn`t have the reader, he said it couldn`t be read. I have one just like that, wireing or conection issue. He is just trying to fix it cheep. I understand, but we need more info for a educated guess. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

I agree, we need more for an educated guess, but for a wild guess I did as good as can be done.

An O2 sensor is only present on OBD I or later, as far as I know. That's the basis for my assumption. Even still, if an OBD I vehicle, it's not that old, so there is much we do not know and what we do know is conflicting.

Given the complete lack of any useful information, my money is on a vac leak.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

O2 sensors were used on pre OBD vehicles with electronic carburetors.

However, given the information that it stalls and runs rough "unless the weather is warm and dry" I personally, as a mechanic, would be looking at other than fuel system problems. I'd be looking for an electrical problem - most likely in the secondary ignition. In less than 20 minutes I could determine if it is an ignition problem, which cyl, and most likely the cause of the problem. Would still be good (essential, actually) to know what year and model car. IF it is an older Crown Vic with the electronically controlled CV (constant vacuum) carb, all bets are off.

Reply to
clare

And, if you have the right machines in your shop, you could determine all of that on any car, OBD I or older or newer. The OP has not been back to give us any further information, and the scant information he's given so far is nonsensical, so I'm gonna let this one die.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

oh now, I could make those CV carbs run great, and then a month later run great, and then a month later run great, and ect. they were something! KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff