Center cap on a 2002 Ranger

Is there a tool that makes taking off the center caps easier. There are a couple of slots on the center cap that you can use to pry them off. Problem is that it also makes it easy to scratch up the rim. A lot of the Ford
center caps have the same slots so it seems like there should be something to use to get them off easily.
I can get them off now by using a pry bar and a small wood shim to keep scatches off. Any suggestions?
I use the corner of a plastic ice scraper just to lift it enough to get around the edges..