Central Locking and Door Switch Problems on Galaxy (UK)

Hi All

We've got a 1998 Galaxy MPV and we've been having problems with the central locking. It was working perfectly until one day the central locking just failed - all the doors had to be locked manually and the tailgate wouldn't lock at all. The "door open" light for the driver's door would also flash on as we drove around.

Anyway, we took the car to the chap who normally fixes our cars and he replaced the (broken) lock, and the central locking control mechanism (both in the driver's door). This helped with the central locking at the time, but when we got near home, the "door open" light for the driver's door started flashing intermittently again.

The light flashing seems to depend on where the car's being driven - it's normally ok going uphill, but flashes when you're going downhill or over a rough road.

When we get out of the car, it takes two attempts to lock it because the driver's door light is on when nobody's in the car. What my wife found that works is:

1) Close the driver's door, and lock it. 2) Open the rear driver's side door, and close it. (Even though you just locked the car) 3) Lock the car from the driver's door again. NOW it's locked properly, otherwise repeat the above.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this with their Ford - we've tried spraying through the keyhole with WD40, which improved the situation, but hasn't fixed it properly.

I'm suspicious of the microswitches in the driver's and driver's rear doors, as they're the only bit of the mechanism in the driver's door that hasn't been replaced. However, the spares guy at the dealership said that they stock the other mechanism parts "because they sell quite a few". They don't stock the microswitches because "they never go wrong". From what I've read on this group, I'm not convinced of that.

I'd be grateful for any help or advice anyone can offer.

Thanks in advance

Jason

Reply to
Jason

that's because, if you read those posts again, it's not the switches that foul.. it's the mecahnisms that actuate them that foul up.

And you spray the LATCH area, not the key area.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

BY, actually it is the switch that fouls. It's in the latch, assuming they are like the US built Fords,

Jason, spray WD-40 into the latch area in the end of the door. Go into all of the areas that you can and spray quite a lot. Then open and close the door about 10 times. This is assuming that they are set up like the US built Fords.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

It's exposed contact type? Why would they use those? I would think it's either plunger or lever-actuator that gums up

Have to check that out next time I replace/refurb a taurus window motor {grrrr}

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic