change coolant in 2005 Lincoln Town Car

2005 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited.

How do I release the old coolant? Where is the drain plug on the bottom? Do I have to take that irksome flap off first? And where do I pour in the new coolant? Just in the overflow tank or is there someplace else? I don't see a round tank cap like on older cars.

Reply to
The Derfer

Here is how to fill it. I couldn't find anything to drain it. Maybe remove the lower radiatior hose???

Filling & Bleeding

Remove the thermostat.

Disconnect the heater core coolant supply hose from the fitting at the rear of the manifold.

Add the coolant/water mixture through the thermostat opening until coolant appears at the heater core coolant supply outlet fitting at the rear of the manifold. Using an appropriately sized worm style clamp, install the heater hose.

Install the thermostat.

Add the correct engine coolant mixture to the coolant reservoir until the coolant level is between the coolant fill level marks and replace the pressure cap.

Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings.

Position the control to discharge air at the A/C vents in the instrument panel.

Run the engine until it reaches operating temperature.

CAUTION The engine coolant level is low in the engine and must be filled. If the engine coolant temperature gauge does not move and the air discharge remains cool. Stop the engine, allow it to cool and fill the cooling system.

Add the correct engine coolant mixture to the coolant reservoir until the coolant level is between the coolant fill level marks. Repeat the 2 previous steps until the engine coolant mixture is between the coolant fill level marks on the coolant reservoir. Turn off the engine and allow it to cool. Check the freeze protection of the engine coolant mixture with the Battery/Antifreeze Tester 014-R1060 or equivalent. Adjust freezing point range if necessary.

Reply to
CEG

I think you have the 4.6L engine so It's probably like my mustang. There should be a drain c*ck on the bottom of the radiator tank. If you can't find that you can pull the lower radiator hose off the radiator. To fill it you have to remove the thermostat housing and thermostat. You pour the new coolant into the opening for the thermostat, then put the thermostat back in and put the housing back on. You may want to buy a new o-ring seal for the thermostat and housing rather then reusing the old one.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It does have the 4.6 L motor. Does anyone know for sure if I have to take the thermostat off or if the tank feeds down to the radiator?

Reply to
The Derfer
************************

Take the bottom hose off. You then remove the upper hose to the thermostat, and the thermostat, so that you can be sure all the water flushes from the block and from the radiator.

While the thermostat is out, flush the radiator via the upper hose you just took off, and the block through the hole where the thermostat had been installed.

Don't get too overzealous when you are taking the hoses off the radiator. Loosen, go gently. DONT pull the hose fittings off the radiator.

Reply to
HLS

You should not be working on the car.

Reply to
jfran

Why shouldn't they? How does one learn except by doing and asking for help?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Agree. This is not just a newsgroup for mechanics.. Hobbyists, curious motorists, shadetree tinkers, and just plain old curmudgeons (yeah, like me) have a place here. And the only way to learn is to get your hands greasy.

Reply to
HLS

He should get a service manual and read it though! Even the dreaded Haynes manual will answer these questions.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.