Changing spark plugs

    !992 Lincoln Town Car with 4.6L single overhead cam and 117,000 miles. With the OEM plugs still in the engine, I think it's time for new
ones. I've read this group for months and don't recall this subject ever being discussed in detail. Are there any things I need to watch for or are there any tricks to use when changing plugs? I assume this is done on a cld engine.
warm to the touch engine. not cold, but hot hot enough that you can't hold onto the block without pain from the heat.

The plugs are down in little "cylinders" of their own.
After 117k, take care with crud trapped in the "cyls". Shine a light, see how bad. Usually just blow crud out with compressed air. Before removing plugs.
Might wanna find about 1' of rubber hose that'll fit snugly over top of plugs. Makes it easier to unthread/thread plugs.
Use dielectric grease on tips of plugs and/or connectors of plug wires.
Unless I'm mistaken, old plug wires cause more problems than old plugs. Ever change the wires?
Cheers, Puddin'
"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

    Thanks for the cleaning tips and yes, I have changed the wires.

Good.
Forgot to mention: twist the wire boot HARD before removing from plug. Breaks the seal, could prevent busted knuckles, etc.
"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949
I stongly suggest replacing the plug wires along with the plugs. Purchase the Ford factory wire set from a dealer or Internet source. They have gone thru about 6 or 7 design changes due to plug boot failures and other stuff.The under hood electronics in my 4.6 1995 T- Bird would not tolerate the EMI / RFI thrown off by after market plug wires. The plug wires have a rubber seal on the plug end that proper alignment to the head for a tight seal. Wire replacement requires removal of the alternator.
As stated before, make sure you blow any crud off the top of the head before removing plug wires and then blow out the plug chambers before removing the plugs. Use silicon grease around the inner plug boot and the coil boot. Put a drop of oil on the new plug threads. I don't think Ford used platinum tipped plugs in 4.6's prior to 1996. You might want to replace the copper tip plugs with platinum. Steve

    I've replaced the OEM wires with Ford's latest version, so I' covered.

    Will do.
you want to replace the plugs with whatever the ford dealer parts counter man gives you, for that year car. DO NOT buy the spark plugs from an auto parts store, unless you want to change them again. the plugs will cost the same from ford as they will from a parts store, so use the ones that ford gives you, and forget about them for another 100,000 miles.

    Never would have thought of that. Thanks
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 16:11:34 -0500, Peter W Crisler

You should have a can of brake cleaner and an air compressor. When you pull the boots off the plugs spray some of teh brake cleaner down in the well and then use the air to blow it and all the dirt out before you take the plugs out. Wear eye protection.

    Thanks for the tip about the brake cleaner.