Changing timing chain on 3.0 Vulcan

I've noticed when "hitting" the throttle from a standing start, or when going up a hill in O/D (at low RPMs) the engine makes a "rattling" noise. at
low RPMs not under load (flat pavement), or at idle it's quiet. It only makes the noise under load at low rpms. I'm guessing this is the timing chain getting a little sloppy?
The engine is otherwise sound, no oil leaks, mobil-1 synthetic for the past 30,000miles, no smoke, no problems with emission testing.
If it is the timing chain, does anyone have any tips on what to watch out for when changing it? can it be done with the engine in-car?
(1997 Taurus GL, 3.0 vulcan, ~120,000miles)
Teknical opined in

Why would you suspect the timing chain in a nearly bulletproof engine, only 120 K and Mobil 1?..... check the CPS first!

only
Really? For a internal rattling noise? I'll do that. Thanks
Teknical opined in

Are you SURE it's not bad pre-ignition?

Thats what I was thinking, pinging. It sounds like a rattle and does it under load at low RPMs usually. Clean your MAF and change the fuel filter and see if that helps.

I'd agree with the suggestion that it's pre-ignition. I had a problem with pinging in my Taurus, and it sounded very much as the OP described, being a "rattling under load".
| I've noticed when "hitting" the throttle from a standing start, or when | going up a hill in O/D (at low RPMs) the engine makes a "rattling" noise. at | low RPMs not under load (flat pavement), or at idle it's quiet. It only | makes the noise under load at low rpms. I'm guessing this is the timing | chain getting a little sloppy? | | The engine is otherwise sound, no oil leaks, mobil-1 synthetic for the past | 30,000miles, no smoke, no problems with emission testing. | | If it is the timing chain, does anyone have any tips on what to watch out | for when changing it? can it be done with the engine in-car? | | (1997 Taurus GL, 3.0 vulcan, ~120,000miles) | | | Take a look see if your exhaust heat shield is loose.

Scott is right you need to clean the mass air unit. I have all Fords and this is a common problem they get dirty and the engine computer has to adjust and pinging is what happens. Clean it with computer alcahol and swap be very careful when doing this. you'll notice a big difference in the motor.