Charging for wheel weights?

One of the line items on my bill for new tires was a charge of $2.99 each for wheel balance weights. Never saw that before.
Eric

Eric Toline opined in

common weights?!!!
Havent seen that for a while.

Re: Charging for wheel weights? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Wed, Feb 2, 2005, 4:48pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@Yaywho.com (BackyardMechanic) Eric Toline opined in One of the line items on my bill for new tires was a charge of $2.99 each for wheel balance weights. Never saw that before. Eric
common weights?!!!<<<<<<<<<<<<<
yup, the ones they bang into place on the rim. Must cost them all of .25 cents each.
Eric
ridiculous, make sure you aren't being charged shop supplies then. Most shops include weights in shop supplies, any shop I deal with does. I can see if they were very expensive European mag weights (which are fairly expensive but no where near 2.99 each weight). If your charge was for regular steel rims then they are basically raping you as those weights range from 10 cents to like 50 cents cost for the shop.

is this charge for the weights only, or for actually balancing your wheels? i would suggest this is a fixed price for wheel balancing including the price of the weights, bear in mind wheel weights are made from lead, not the cheapest metal around. steve.

Re: Charging for wheel weights? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Thu, Feb 3, 2005, 1:24pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@whatever.com (anon)
is this charge for the weights only, or for actually balancing your wheels? i would suggest this is a fixed price for wheel balancing including the price of the weights, bear in mind wheel weights are made from lead, not the cheapest metal around. steve.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Lets see:
4-Bridgestone Potenza G009 215/60x15 @ $73.99 $295.96
4-Rubber valve stems @ $2 $8.00
4-Wheel balance weights @ $2.99 $11.96
Road hazzard warranty: $20.00
State tire fee (Florida) 4 @ $1 $4.00
State tire disposal fee 4 @ $2.25 $9.00
Misc shop supplys $0.00 State sales tax: $19.98 Sub total: $368.90
Discounts applied ( -$60.00)
Total $308.90
Eric
On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:38:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Eric Toline) wrote:

Might be a typo, like should be: 4-Wheel balance & weights @ $2.99 $11.96
Remember if you have any questions about a bill, you should ask the merchant, get a valid answer before you pay.
hth,
tom @ www.BookmarkAdmin.com
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:31:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

Looks to me they do not charge for installation and ballance, but charge a bit high on the weights. All in all, you did OK.
Shoot I spent over $600 on a set of new toyos for the Taurus wagon @$129 each. A rear tire went flat and shredded up on the highway. The next day we had a wake to attend the next day so I was a severely limited in my ability to shop around.
Wheel weights cost money.... is this a surprise??? When I was self employed, I discovered that motorists though that wire was something I BOUGHT by the roll so I could GIVE IT AWAY by the foot. I can see the consumer point of view... after all, it's only a few cents...... but, the 300 people before you thought it was anly a few cents.
While many think that an auto repair facility may be a licence to print money. the truth is quite opposite. If you want to do a chapter 11 real quick, open a garage. If you are not sunning a "high end" facility, you will soon find that your customers are the enemy. Those expecting fine wine when they are only prepared to pay for draft beer.
(anon)

Your total install cost is $5 per tire which isn't bad, they just charge for it in a weird way. Does this include lifetime balancing? Do shops other than Costco offer that any more?
(anon)

Re: Charging for wheel weights? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Fri, Feb 4, 2005, 2:01pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com (SamSteele)
Your total install cost is $5 per tire which isn't bad, they just charge for it in a weird way. Does this include lifetime balancing?<<<<<<<<
Yes
Do shops other than Costco offer that any more?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Don't know about any others but Tires Plus does
Eric