Charging problem

My son's 87 Grand Marquis had an Alternator light on solid. He replaced the alternator twice without affecting the problem. Alternator checks out OK on
the bench. I verified that the system is not charging and checked for obvious problems: loose connections, continuity from the alternator to the battery, belt tension, connector to the alternator (replaced), etc. Nothing. Any suggestions on any other things to check before he drives it to the shop? Jim
Voltage regulator? I'm not sure what year they all became internal. He may have an external.
--
=========

"Jim Z" < snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message

What is the voltage at the battery with the engine running? With the engine off?
Replace the voltage regulator.