Chasing the ghosts of "Bullitt"

Wall Street Journal
(San Francisco) - At the very top of Taylor and Vallejo streets here on Sunday morning, I stopped to take in the view. Idling in a 2011
Ford Mustang V6, I looked down through the windshield at the impossibly steep hill below, immortalized in the 1968 film "Bullitt" starring Steve McQueen.
Seated next to me was Loren Janes, 79, McQueen's longtime stunt double and the last surviving member of the "Bullitt" car crew. Mr. Janes drove the green Mustang in the movie's most daring and riveting scenes the one down Taylor Street and the other along Guadalupe Canyon Parkway. I even brought along a CD of the "Bullitt" soundtrack for the ride.
Two weeks after the death of "Bullitt" director Peter Yates, Mr. Janes and I set out to honor him by driving the movie's chase route cautiously. "Peter wanted everything about the chase to feel risky and rough," said Mr. Janes, whose stuntman credits include more than 500 movies and 2,100 TV episodes. "Peter never got cold feet about any of the stunts that coordinator Carey Loftin lined up. He knew that a memorable film needed to be on the edge."
Continued: http://sn.im/GhostsBullitt
On 1/28/2011 8:29 AM, Robin wrote:

Thanks for posting this.
--
Tom

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never
* It may have been the liquor talking, but

I remember seeing this with my Dad. Before the film started he offered a 'gloria in excelsis Deo' to the scene. In reverent tones, he described this 'greatest chase scene of all time' and it became one of the bonds between us.
*R* *H*