cheapest scanner that shows live data?

Looking for recommendations for a cheap OBD scanner that not only shows codes, but live data including fuel trims. Graphing is not necessary.

Thank you.

Reply to
Jayson A

If you have an Android phone or tablet with Bluetooth, you can get the Torque Pro app for $4.95 . (There's a Lite free version, but that doesn't have fuel trim, IIRC.)

You'll also need the B/T adapter for the vehicle. I got mine from Amazon for $24 .

Here's the documentation on the app . Works well wit both vehicles I've used it on, a 2002 Escape and a 2014 Escape. I haven't gone into any real depth with it on the '14 (haven't had any CEL's on it), but it gave me more information than I would ever need on my '02.

So, for about $30, you'll have a very valuable tool, IMO.

Reply to
SC Tom

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 05:20:31 -0500, Jayson A wrote in

CRNG

Unfortunately, I don't have that type of phone, just looking for a basic, discrete hand held unit. Something that will show and reset codes and live data.

Reply to
Jayson A

Is that the cheapest available? Seems I read somewhere that one of the sub $25 Autels read/ reset codes and offered live data. Thanks.

Reply to
Jayson A

On eBay, or others, look for an ELM327 module. These are available in wifi and bluetooth versions to talk to your apple or android device. I have the wifi, and I have to jump through hoops to get my data to be emailed to my PC, I think the bluetooth version would remove the hoops. You might find an ELM327 that supports both wifi and bluetooth. The module is plugged into the OBD II data port on any car.

In the Play Store, you can download an app that gives you the presentation of the data provided by the module. Torque Pro is popular, and costs about 5 dollars. Torque Lite is similar but limited, and is free. I'd suggest you try any of the apps that have free versions, then if you like it then pay for the full version.

With the full version of the app and the module, you will have something that gives live data for under 30-ish dollars.

If you start a log, then email the log to your PC or Mac you can use a spreadsheet program to make a graph. The live data can be displayed as a graph, or as a dial. Depending on the data set, the display can be changed to show the data appropriately.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It's the cheapest one I found. I have the same unit. Got it off of eBay for around $45, IIRC.

Reply to
Tim J.

That scanner can only display freeze frame data, it does not display live data. The freeze frame is the data present at the moment the first code is set.

If you are phone/tablet challenged, then you will be spending almost as much on a scanner to get live data as you will spend on a phone or tablet and the ELM-327 module.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland