check air suspention...

My mother in laws 94 lincoln town car is getting the "check air suspention" warning when you drive it for a bit or even faster if you sit still. I noticed that the car levels often when the car is parked
in the driveway. I figure it has a leak but, I dont how or where to even start to look for a leak. Does anyone have any advice or help that may help to find this leak?? Thanks for any help..
totalchaos23 wrote:

Although leaks are possible anywhere in the system, There's a 99% chance that 1 or both rear air spring is leaking. They are a wear item of sorts and by far the most common source of leaks, especially after 12 years. They are very easy to replace and are available aftermarket for ~$100 each including shipping. There is a dryer on top of the compressor that should be replaced or serviced when the springs are replaced, about $35. Check out the Forum, Tech pages, and Links page at http://www.lincolnsonline.com/index.html . for a wealth of info on the care and feeding of Mom in laws Lincoln. IMHE, that's one lady that you need to keek happy;)
the air bags start wearing out around the 100k to 120k mark.
passenger side seems to give out first.
first, check suspension light comes on, because the trim height sensor is inputting an error signal.
next, if you keep driving it, then the fuse will blow for the compressor because it is running all the while you are driving it. it calls for more air if you get on bumpy roads because it squeezes the air out of leak faster.
third, compressor will lock up if you haven't fixed it by now.
if you take it to a dealer at this point, it runs around 1600 dollars.
to see the leak or leaks. jack car up slightly. the cracks will be at the bend of the air bag where it folds back into itself. it is only about and inch in length where the trouble is located at. spray soapy water onto the bag and check for air bubbles.
recommend replacing both sides at the same time. if you replace the one side. the other side is about 10k miles behind.
hope this helps.
~ curtis
knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so." http://community.webtv.net/PALMER_ENT/doc
c palmer wrote:

are you referring to my wedding dress?
mk5000
"statistical isotrophy"--david j bottjer
"totalchaos23" wrote: > My mother in laws 94 lincoln town car is getting the "check > air suspention" warning when you drive it for a bit or even > faster if you sit still. I noticed that the car levels often > when the car is parked in the driveway. I figure it has a leak > but, I dont how or where to even start to look for a leak. > Does anyone have any advice or help that may help to find this > leak?? Thanks for any help..
^^BUMP^^
totalchaos23 wrote:

If the air springs are original, they are almost 12 years old, and nothing lasts forever. To check for a leak, turn off the air ride switch in the trunk & drive the car for a little while. If a corner or the entire rear sinks, replace both of the rear air springs; maybe $200 DIY for a rebuilt pair. Join www.lincolnsonline.com
"" wrote: > totalchaos23 wrote: > > > > "totalchaos23" wrote: > > > My mother in laws 94 lincoln town car is getting the > "check > > > air suspention" warning when you drive it for a bit or > even > > > faster if you sit still. I noticed that the car levels > often > > > when the car is parked in the driveway. I figure it has a > leak > > > but, I dont how or where to even start to look for a > leak. > > > Does anyone have any advice or help that may help to find > this > > > leak?? Thanks for any help.. > > > > ^^BUMP^^ > > If the air springs are original, they are almost 12 years old, > and nothing lasts > forever. To check for a leak, turn off the air ride switch in > the trunk & drive > the car for a little while. If a corner or the entire rear > sinks, replace both > of the rear air springs; maybe $200 DIY for a rebuilt pair. > Join > www.lincolnsonline.com
Sharon K.Cooke,
Thanks VERY much for the help. Thats a MAJOR help and gives me a good place to start. This place is GREAT.
"totalchaos23" wrote: > Sharon K.Cooke, > > Thanks VERY much for the help. Thats a MAJOR help and gives me > a good place to start. > This place is GREAT.
I didnt think to ask before but, does anyone know what makes and models will interchange with the air springs on this 94 town car if at all?
Thanks
totalchaos23 wrote:

They are the same air springs that are on a Ford CV or Merc GM as optional equipment, but don't even THINK about going out to an auto salvage yard to scrounge a pair; just pay the $200 or so for rebuilt ones with brand-new bladders (the part that actually wears out with usage and TIME).
"" wrote: > totalchaos23 wrote: > > > > "totalchaos23" wrote: > > > Sharon K.Cooke, > > > > > > Thanks VERY much for the help. Thats a MAJOR help and > gives me > > > a good place to start. > > > This place is GREAT. > > > > I didnt think to ask before but, does anyone know what makes > and > > models will interchange with the air springs on this 94 town > car if > > at all? > > > > Thanks > > They are the same air springs that are on a Ford CV or Merc GM > as optional > equipment, but don't even THINK about going out to an auto > salvage yard to > scrounge a pair; just pay the $200 or so for rebuilt ones with > brand-new > bladders (the part that actually wears out with usage and > TIME).
Was planning to go salvaged. I found some for a couple of other lincolns that were bought new for a Mark 8 (96) and some for a continental (93). They were never installed for differant reasons. I just wanted to know incase I ran accross something like this to see if it will work on this town car. Thanks for the help.