Check engine light - 1990 Taurus?

I just put in a new battery into my 1990 Ford Taurus. Now the "check engine" light comes on. Any ideas? Is there a way to read the codes with
a code reader?

with
try diconnecting the battery for 2 minutes. If the light comes back, yes a code can be pulled.
Scott what I meant was, can a code be derived with no code reader? I know in my mini-van, I turned the ignition a certain way, and the codes could be read by the blinking lights. Does Ford have a feature?

be
If I remember correctly (its been a while on a 90, and I always had a scan tool.) you can ground the test connector under the hood and read the code with the check engine light. If you cant read it with the light you can use a volt meter for sure....check this out. http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html Oh, and look to see if anything was disconnected while the battery was being changed.
ƒ ƒ> Scott what I meant was, can a code be derived with no code reader? I know ƒ> in my mini-van, I turned the ignition a certain way, and the codes could ƒbe ƒ> read by the blinking lights. Does Ford have a feature? ƒIf I remember correctly (its been a while on a 90, and I always had a scan ƒtool.) you can ground the test connector under the hood and read the code ƒwith the check engine light. If you cant read it with the light you can use ƒa volt meter for sure....check this out. ƒhttp://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html ƒOh, and look to see if anything was disconnected while the battery was being ƒchanged. ƒ After all these years you'd think the manufacturers could install a small lcd readout that would tell you in english what the hell the check engine light means. Oh no, we have to pay a small fortune to find out that the gas cap wasn't screwed on tight enough etc. This should be a user servicable item, not a dealer gold mine.

That would be nice to have a little read out.....Code readers can be had pretty cheap nowadays though. I think it is a little harder to find OBD1 readers like this 90 Ford would need.

The Auto Zone store in my town (and probably yours) will loan you a code reader you can use in the parking lot for free. I used it on my '95 T-Bird and it worked fine. If your car isn't running and you can't get it down to the store you may have to make other arrangements.
--
BT

Look like you got your wish. Newer Ford motor Company vehicles have an enunciator that tell the driver to check the gas tank cap. ;)
mike hunt
Father Guido wrote:

A real quick trip to your favorite parts store you can purchase a manual. It will tell you how to pull codes with out a scan tool and give you the definitions of the codes so you can diagnose your problem. What a time saver and money saver to boot!

No need the manual. Scott's link has all the info, including the location of self test connector.
Thanks to all of you who replied! Your help was awesome. Scott's link is unbelievable! I was wondering, since there is no Auto Zone in Canada, does anyone know of similar places in Canada, that lend out scan tools?