check engine light

Big problem.
We have a '96 ford aerostar. It's time for it to be inspected. The "check engine" light is on. We took it to the mechanics who said it was the fuel
evap system. They did a smoke test and said there is a nick in the gas filler neck. (Probably thanks to heavy handed gas station attendants.)
They called ford who said that ford stopped making parts for cars over 10 years old. Ford checked everywhere on the computer and no one had the part.
The mechanic said that they could clear the computer and then we could try driving the car for 10 miles at 50mph and then get the car inspected. This would give us time to try and find someone with the part, or to try to repair the crack in the old one.
Being in NYC, there's no close highway where we can go 50mph for 10 miles. By the time we get back to the mechanic, the light is going to be back on.
Anyone know a way to get around the computer without having to go 50mph for 10 miles? Also, anyone know where we can get the part?
Thanks.
psoum wrote:

As a very temporary fix you can use epoxy to patch the crack. It will not last, but it should get you past the inspection. I'm assuming you can get to the cracked area. You are going to have to drive it some now the codes have been cleared, though - because NY's emissions test requires historical data to be in the computer. No way of getting around that.

I would take the Van Wyck to the Hutchison River Parkway (believe me, you can get there from NYC - I live in Queens myself). There are approximately seventeen zillion junkyards there. Or www.car-part.com. Or look in the yellow pages under auto junkyards - there are hundreds of them in Jamaica, for instance - many within a subway ride of any point in the five boros...
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

There's somewhere that has gas station attendants?
--
I. Care
I. Care wrote:

The gas station nearest my home is all full-service.
Most of the gas stations on Long Island have full-service areas.
In NJ, all gas stations are full-service.

We still have full service stations here in rural Tennessee. Real people....who care.
Bob
RobertM wrote:

I envy you. Would love to live in the country (used to live in the country back home when I was a boy). There are no people who care in New York.
psoum wrote:

What does the check engine light have to do with inspections? is that part of the inspection in NY ?
psoum wrote:

I'm wondering what to do myself. I'm on my third Taurus... currently own a '92 wagon and a 2000 sedan. When it comes time to replace them I'm at a loss what to replace them with. The wagon is my Lowesmobile so I'll probably find a used pickup or minivan to replace it. But the sedan?
The only feature I ever wanted but couldn't seem to get was a sunroof (at least on a program car). I don't see a sedan in their line that catches my eye... except maybe that 500 hp Mustang. I'd go for one of those if I can get it for around $14,000. <G>
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com