Check Engine Light

This should be an easy one. But cars remain a tricky subject for many of us. Recently the check engine light came on. But it went off. During one trip home the light came on and off twice.
What are the most important things to look for? Yes, I should know this. But a refresher course is always good. Can other factors cause the light to come on? The car has been running well. With hotter temperatures, we try to keep a closer watch on the coolant level. Unfortunately, the manual is often not much help. There is a line about the problem being gone if the light goes on and off while driving. For the record, I am fairly knowledgable in other areas.
Sincerely, Darren Thornton
most important thing to look for is make and model
And then we will throw 1 of the about 300 possible codes at you that can cause a c.e.l. to come on
-OR-
you can go to pepboys and have the codes pulled, for free, kinda take out the guess work

It is a 1995 Escort LX. I call it the Purple Wonder. There are two doors.
Sincerely, Darren Thornton
thanks for the info.........
good luck